Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What is the best make of battery?

Rev

The battery on my car will no longer hold a charge and I need to replace it.

I thought before rushing out and buying a replacement I'd ask to see what those that know thought I should buy. Better to find out prior to purchase than repent at leisure.

I don't know whether or not the age or engine makes a difference, but the cars a 1988 1700 BDR engine and will get limited use. I will however keep it on a ctek trickle charger.

Thanks in advance.

Nick

Thanks for those comments.

Sometimes know what to avoid is just as good advice!

Currently a Banner Battery is fitted, but reading forums indicates if they go flat then they're usually finished afterwards. Not a great scenario!

I'd been looking at the powervamp and that was top of the list so far. Would I need to fit the Bracket or would it sit in the current tray under the steering column?

Thanks

Hi, and once again thanks for the replies.

If I was going to use the car regularly then I would expect that the Banner would be fine, but as I know I'll not do a huge mileage then I'm swayed by the Powervamp. Simply as I've read the comments about once flat it's a finished. Knowing me I'll forget the charger one time and back to square one!

Anyone a long term user of the powervamp battery and had similar experience?

Fit a master switch to isolate the battery every time you leave the car. Then nothing can drain it. I put mine in the bulkhead in front of the passenger. I can reach the key from the driver's seat, it is out of sight and the terminals are the engine bay side of the bulkhead close to the battery. Easy. No need to connect to a charger if you do this. I have left mine in the garage for months between uses.

My car only get used on track so no more that 8 to 10 times a year. My Powervamp is 7 years old. Holds a charge over the winter and gives a consistantly good reading. I will stick it on a charger before the first outing but the smart charger cuts out after 10 minutes showing a fully chrged state. I do check it every now and again and its always around 13.6v to 13.8v

If you are looking for a "normal" battery the industry best by far is Varta. 

I think I'm going to go with the Powervamp.

I've ordered a cut off switch today and will fit that and then buy the Powervamp. I have a starter pack that will do the job until I've fitted that.

A big thank you to all who replied. Aren't forums just the best. Really helpful advice as ever.

I'm very grateful to all for their comments.

Nick