Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Performance Modifications.

Dorset7

I've just had a bit of an unexpected windfall so my mind has turned to engine mods. 

What's the best route for a little more shove without compromising reliability or breaking the bank on a 1600 K-Series? I don't want to go crackers, just improve things a little. 

Would fitting a VVC inlet manifold give me any gains (I ask because I have access to a cheap one).

Thanks in advance. 

I dont know what your driving experience is but I would always suggest that the first thing to improve is the nut that holds the wheel as opposed to the nut that holds the wheel on!

Driver training would be my first recommendation

second would be to make the car stop better - improve the braking system

If you want to go faster make the car stop better

Third get the best tyres for your use

Forth have the suspension setup if you have adjustable spring platforms and last of all start thinking about improving the engine.

The first 4 are reasonably inexpensive compared to the last one

Without knowing the state of tune my first port of call would be to fit a better exhaust system. This can release 6 to 8 bhp on its own then have vernier cam sprockets fitted and the engine timed correctly another 4 to 6 bhp

That should give you plenty to be going on with.

• Area Representative

'don't really think the VVC plenum is an upgrade at all.

If it's a standard 1600, then it's unlikely to benefit from verniers or a better exhaust.

I'd say that the first step on an otherwise standard 1600, would ne to swap the cams, and if it's an EU3 car, then havibf ZandF reflash the ECU to suit the cams.

If cams and ECU were more than you were thinking of, then I would not spend anything at all.

I was thinking along the lines of cams and ECU, it seems a relatively cheap route to a little more go. 

Its been suggested Supersport cams is the way to go and they're pretty reasonable price wise. I'm not sure about the cost of an ECU flash though, any ideas?

There are better cams than the supersports, whatever you fit, make sure they are timed correctly with verniers. Retiming the stock cams will yield nothing except a lightened wallet, similarly with the VVC Plenum, it is a spectacularly bad fit to the inlet ports creating a large (5-6mm) ledge at the top of the port which seriously inhibits flow, it's volume is also all wrong for a 1600 so it will be detrimental to both mid range torque and top end power.

The best bang for your buck would be a set of cams (633 profile) timed properly with verniers. The stock ECU will run the engine well on these, but a further improvement can be had from a Z&F remap (around £300) and a modification to the throttle body to improve initial throttle response.

Dave

It's the DVA website I've been looking at - the prices seem very reasonable and upfront, VAT included in published prices. 

Whilst I'm reasonably handy with a spanner it's not a job I'd want to tackle myself so a trip to MK would be on the cards for sure. 

Dave - would you be able to confirm cost of the 135BHP kit fitted to include the 52mm TB via BM?

Time is NEVER on my side so could the job be done in a day if I arrive early doors and bring a good book!?

It's probably best to contact me direct for anything like that.

For information, cam profiles available (Piper)

1369 profile, 252 degrees, 9.5mm lift - TF135/PTP140/VVC exhaust cam, quite mild

270 profile, 260 degrees, 10mm lift - reasonable street profile

633 profile, 264 degrees, 10.2mm lift - hotter, SS equivalent, hottest on stock or remapped ECU

1320 profile, 268 degrees, 10.4mm lift - hottest for a plenum, requires Emerald ECU 

Oily