Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Knackered driveshaft?

Richard Price

• Area Representative

I've got a knackered drive shaft, where one of the springs has broken, and allowed the cup to float around with the bits of spring *cry*

It's the post 2002 GKN supplied "Tripoid" style rather than the earlier Ford based ones.

GKN won't supply the parts to me, and Caterham don't have replacement driveshafts *frown*

Has anyone got a knackered driveshaft lying around? It can be from the left or the right, and and S3 or SV. As long as its the later GKN style that I can pinch a spring and a cap from.

Hi Richard if you contact Darren Dare (great name) from Graham Goode racing explain your problem to him they maybe able to help I bought 2 new tripode joints from them recently, he couldn't identify the joint so he sent them off to matched up, are yours 21 spline joints? His email darren@grahamgoode.com

Regards phil

• Area Representative

Gents,

Thanks for the pointers.

'didn't manage to get hold of Darren Dare yet, but I've emailed.

'not tried team Parker, but I've already spoken to both Redline and McMillian *frown*.

For the time being, I'll be patient, and see what turns up.

• Area Representative

Hi Phil,

The spring is 39mm long, 20mm OD 14.8 ID with a wire diameter of roughly 2.5mm, and 5 active coils.

The OD of the spring is quite critical as it sits in a socket that guides it. Too big, and it won't fit, too small, and it would not be guided adequately :-(

'such a same GKN can't/won't supply direct to me *frown*

• 2 weeks later...