Click here if you are having website access problems ×

slight water leak

strongy

Just been running a test on my alternator and ran the engine (1700 xflow) at idle until it was warm

I noticed a slight leak on the floor of the garage. It seems to be coming from the water pump it particular from the bolt that also attaches the alternator tension bar. Does anyone know the correct torque to tighten this bolt to and is this common?

Cheers strongy *confused*

Strongy - go on, wake the neighbours. 😬

I have found that the bolt that holds the alternator adjustment strap and water pump to the block has a tendancy to vibrate loose on a regular occasion - so I tend to check every few 100 miles (I guess some loctite would be useful but I am not sure that I want it that permanent either considering the times that I have had to replace the alternator in the last 12 months). But according to the Haynes manual it should be torqued to some low figure around 10lbft.

As for the rad leaking, it is from the big nut on top then it is not uncommon and either seal it with a bit of silicone of just ignore it. Provided that you top it up with tap water, the hardness will slowly block to weeping hole and stop the leak. Certainly not worth spending large sums of money on. However, it it is leaking from the core or one of the hoses then that is a different matter.

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

Thanks for the advice.

Sadly the leak seems to be coming from the radiator core itself, not too bad at the moment but it must have been leaking for some time because it took two pints of fluid today. Time for a new rad I think. ☹️

Cheers

Strongy - go on, wake the neighbours. 😬