Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Powervamp battery charging question

Terry Field

I have a Powervamp battery which is kept on a conditioner. For various reasons I wasn't sure if the conditioner was working properly, so I attached my old style style battery charger (6amp) to it to see what the state of charge was. The charger has 6 lights which come on progressively as the battery charges. Only one light came on and after about a minute it went out, so no lights at all.

I checked the operation of the charger on the tin top battery and it works fine, so any ideas why the lights would go out and it would not show as charging?

I should add that the Powervamp looks as if it is well charged (bright headlights etc), but I can't start the car at the moment and I don't have a meter to check it.

Thanks

Terry

If the headlights are bright why do you fear for the battery?  When you say you can't start the car, is that because it won't turn over or, e.g., you've lost the keys?

These batteries prefer a conditioner such as the Optimate.  Don't use an Accumate as they have a part of their cycle that Powervamps don't like.

I thought I'd killed mine a couple of years ago when I left the ignition on for 2 weeks!  Left it on the Optimate for a few days and it eventually fully recovered and has been as good as gold ever since.

Hi Bob,

All's well thanks. Having watched the conditioner over the last few days it seems to be working OK. I was just intrigued as to what was happening with the old style charger.

All being well (and the weather playing ball) I hope to be back on the road by the end of Feb.

Hope to see you soon

Terry