Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Water ??

Ted_7

Hello

On my recently re-head-gasketed 1.6K, I noticed for the second time, small drops of liquid coolant on the expansion bowl (not sure of the term, it's just the bowl under the nose cone where you put water in 😬 ). There are just a few drops, the bowl is well locked, but water seems to get out of it ! The coolant level when the car is cold is still normal (in 2500kms).

Do I have to worry or check somewhere else ?

Thanks for your help *confused*

Se7enly, Ted_7

if its overfilled or overheated then the header tank cap lets coolant out as a pressure relief. But this damages the cap so it needs replacing (few quid from a rover dealer - don't get from caterham) . Are you seeing any overheating problems 🤔 Are there white streaky marks over the front og the engine, chassis etc where the coolant has dried 🤔

Its probably nothing more serious than overfilling and a new cap and wipe clean to solve everything. worth wiping clean now and see if anymore comes out as well.

HOOPY 500 kg R706KGU

boing.

I have a similar question:

I found recently that the inside 'roof' of my nose cone has a dried in white powdery residue, and put it down to dried in salt that I hadnt rinsed off properly.

but could this be coolant having sprayed out of the header tank cap?

the water temp guage on the dash rarely gets up higher than (i think) 60 degrees. (about 1/3 of the dial range)

can this guage be trusted, or could I be overheating unknowingly?

at what water temp should my cooling fan kick in?