Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

SPLINE SEALANT

Guy Lowe

Try as I might I cannot find anything about this using the search.

I am replacing the diff flange and oil seal on a Seirra diff and remember reading that you should seal the spines to prevent any leaks, but I cannot remember which sealant to use.

looking at the Loctite web site it looks like is should be either 620 or 660, does anyone know?

Thanks.

What do you want to seal?  If you mean seal the two driveshafts out of the diff the only seal is the one pressed into the diff. The splines provide the drive and run in oil. The only other seal would be one on the propshaft side and would need the diff removing from the car to replace.

If there is wear in the splines, the resultant slop frees off the swaged seal in the plate that the nut tightens against. It's enough that oil can run down the splines and through the loosened plate. There's no guaranteed cure (other than new parts) but SPC recommend silicone sealant on the splines and on the joint in the plate.

Sorry I should have been more specific, I have the diff out and it is the prop shaft flange & oil seal that I am replacing. When I removed the old flange (R&R rebuild) there was a lot of grey sealant on the splines, that's what leads me to think it is Loctite 620 or 660. 

No there is no excessive wear, I just thought it was good practice to seal the splines.

The driveshaft splines are within the oil seals so there is no need to seal those besides they are constantly sliding in & out, however on the input from the prop shaft, the splines run right through the flange to the nut, therefore oil can seep along the splines. 

In my experience these usually leak when a diff has been made up out of bits and bobs from odd diffs and the oil creeps down the splines then under the large washer and nut, And then drips from this point and gets slung around under the car. A semi flexible sealant such as a Wurth product can be used but if the splines are actually well worn then you will probably find that oil still creeps through, Well worth trying to get a few used or a new input flange to try. But not the easiest job to keep changing them chasing an oil leak

If you use a semi flexible product and apply liberally along and around the splines both male and female then push the input flange in and also apply under the large flat washer and to the ID of it also good luck