Click here if you are having website access problems ×

fixing front wings

whatsup

The most common name is Sikaflex (beware: multiple varieties) but there are recent recommendations for others, including one species of Gorilla.

I have a feeling that the preparation might be more important than the adhesive.

I used Sikaflex 221 and would do the same again.

Jonathan

Second that. Lay a bead around the wingstays too. Clean inside of wings with acetone (nail polish remover)where stays sit. Clean and repaint stays if necessary. Failures have occurred where Sikaflex adheres well to the wing and powder coat on stays, but powder coat not adhered well to stays ! Hammerite smooth satin black is good.

• Area Representative

If wings are correctly bonded, they'll never come off.

On a couple of occasions, I've had a great deal of difficulty getting broken wings off the stays!

I've used various PU adhesives, and have used Sikaflex, Tiger seal as well as this:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PU18-Polyurethane-Sealant-Adhesive-Koi-Fish-Pond-Car-Auto-Boat-Marine-GRP-Joints-/121326496486?pt=UK_Crafts_Cardmaking_Scrapbooking_Glue_Tape_EH&var=&hash=item1c3f9f6ae6  

All seem to work as well as each other, ans long as the preparation is sound (as SM25T says).

I normally leave the wheel and tyre in place, run a bead of the PU along the stay, position the wing, and hold it in place with tape to the tyre. Then, the following day, remove the wheel, and apply a generous filet each side of the stay, smoothing it around the stay with a gloved finger, keeping the gloved finger cleaned with white spirit.