Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Jacking Up

martyn

Just tried to get my car up onto 4 axle stands but immediately ran into problems.  I'm sure this is easy once you know how and where to place the jack!

At the rear, the Assembly Guide and Owner's Handbook both suggest to place the jack centrally on the chassis rail at the front of the fuel tank.  Within one pump of the jack I quickly realised that this rail isn't strong enough and would bend if I continued.

This guide here (if I've understood it correctly) suggests to jack up the A-frame by placing the jack centrally at the tip or point of the A.  That's all well and good except that my jack isn't low enough to fit under the point of the A-frame! - Guess I'll need one of those low profile ones.

So..  Which is the correct method?

Also, when it comes to the placement of axle stands for long term storage, again the Caterham documents suggest the rail at the front of the tank, whereas the linked guide suggests the front of the A-frame, nearer to the front of the arches.

Axle stands: I can't find the Club Guide and it isn't on the Alcester Racing 7s site, which I thought it was.

It's described with photos in the Assembly Guide: would you like a copy?

Safety points include:

• Don't go under a car on a jack.
  • If you're jacking both ends for some reason the 7 travels longitudinally. Watch this so you can see what happens and check the stands are true after it does.

Jonathan

Personally I have always put the stands on the side rails at the back. When you then go to the front ensure the wheels of the Jack are straight as the Jack needs to move when you start jacking if the back is already up. I always use the cross rail of the crucifix for the front stands. Stands have some carpet or cork glued to them. The Jack I use has a rubber pad on the jacking point.

Jack the front first using the cruciform. I always place traditional type axle stands under the side rails

Moving to the back using the rear A frame to jack under I place axle stands under the rearmost cross rail as close as possible to the side rails.

Ive found these to be the most secure at the rear

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/images/library/product/medium/02/020110003.jpg?2

and these for the front https://www.machinemart.co.uk/images/library/product/huge/02/020110000.jpg

I always place a small square of carpet between the axle stand and the bodywork.

Thanks all.  So it seems that the Caterham docs, and the 2 different guides all suggest different positions for the rear axle stands.  I guess on a car this light, with such a rigid chassis it probably doesn't matter that much.  Think I'll go with the GTKY7 positioning.

Should have checked this earlier but I presume that its good practice to put a Caterham on axle stands if it’s not to be used for several months?  I've done this with my other cars when in storage.