Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tire choices for 15" wheels

magnusfeuer

Hello,

I will soon dish out money for a new set of tires for my Caterham, and I have a few questions.

The car is an SV (175 HP Zetec) equipped with the standard 15"/6.5" wheels, De Dion rear suspension with Watts linkage, standard shocks, springs and anti-rollbars all around. No LSD (yet).

The car is a daily driver. Occasionally, however, I take it out for a more enthusiastic drive or on to a track. Being in California, wet handling is not an issue.

After talking to a few people, the Kumho V700 has come forward as a cheap and good candidate. Info on the tires can be found at:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+V700

- and -

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=VictoRacer+V700

Addiotional info is available by clicking on Sizes & Pricing / Reviews / Specs.

The questions are:

1. Are either the Kumho V700 Victoracer or V700 ECSTA a good choice?

If so, which one of the two would you recommend?

2. How does the V700 compare to Yokohama A032R?

The A032 is more expensive then the V700, but seems to be a proven choice for a Caterham.

3. Which dimensions can you recommend for back and front?

The available Kumho 15" dimensions are: 205/50/15, 225/50/15, 225/45/15 and 225/50/15.

Edited by - magnusfeuer on 17 Jan 2003 19:38:16

The V700 Ecsta is closer to an ACB10 than the Yoko 32's - they seem to be very popular with the Swedish seveners at the moment and look like good value for money.

Give them a try, but don't expect much from the tyres in the wet - should suit California well.

Miraz

The tread and carcass are designed to allow much more twist than a conventional radial tyre - especially something like a 32 which is pretty rigid - the twist allows the tyre to maintain traction at high slip angles in much the same way as an ACB10 does.

It's heavier than an ACB10, not quite as flexible when pushed - but at around half the price...

Where's Peter Simons when you need him? - I know he has been running them on his Superlight for a little while now....

Miraz is absolutely right.

I've used ACB10:s as well as V700:s. For road use I would definitely recommen the V700 just because it is quiter than the ACB10. Handlingwise I don't think you will notice any difference on public roads.

For track use there are other things to consider. First of all make sure you compare equal compounds. I've run on the soft / supersoft K8 V700 compound while I used the Caterham supplied A33 compound (hard) for the ACB10:s. (Personal note: If you run hard compound soft tyres you really ought to have your logic circuit checked...)

The V700 also like a bit more camber than the ACB10:s. The walls are straighte which means that you get more rubber on the road compared to ACB10:s in the same dimension. This might be interesting in some racing classes where tyres are restricted by the tyre dimensions. So for instance: I use 175 /13 on the front end and 215 / 13 on the rear and have exactly as much rubber on the ground as 195 / 13 & 245 / 13 ACB10:s. The 245 would put a Superlight in Modsports while 215 is perfectly ok for Roadsports. 😬 If you follow this reasoning a V700 is actually a better road legal race tyre than the ACB10. The Avon weight advantage is of purely academic interest as I see it. You have to be really really really on the edge to use that to your advantage. I would even be bold enough to say that few of us are anywhere near that range... *wink*

On the whole I really like the V700 and I have been quite a lot faster on it than I was on ACB10:s but that's because of better chassis set up and perhaps also some driver improvement. *eek* The most interesting point is of course the price. The Avons aren't twice as good as the Kumhos.

Peter

Never knew about this V700 tyre seems at face value anyway to be a viable alternative to Avon/Yoko. Anybody know what kind of milage you can get out if them? and like Hoppy I would be interested in knowing anyones comments on wet performance in a non-track use.

Is it SUMMER yet? 😬