Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Coolant Bleeding With Remote Thermostat Fitted.

Dorset7

I know there's shed loads of coolant bleeding posts on here but I can't find anything relating to the use of a remote thermostat.

I plan to drain the coolant this weekend, fit a QED remote thermostat, fit silicone hoses and replace the coolant with new on my 1.6 K-Series (no heater).

I plan to use the following method but I'm open to comments (kind ones) and advice from others.

1. Drain coolant via bottom hose removal.

2. Remove factory fitted thermostat housing, discard thermostat and refit housing.

3. Remove and replace all the hoses.

4. Fit remote thermostat in top hose as per QED's instructions.

Now, this is where I'm a little unsure......

5. Back fill top hose on the "engine side" of the thermostat (slowly) and refit.

6. Remove expansion tank cap and fill (slowly) until coolant comes through the radiator bleed screw with car jacked up at the front.

7. Run car and massage hoses.

8. Check the top of the rad is getting hot, when up to temp check the bottom hose and other hoses are all hot.

9. Wait for fan to cut in and top up expansion tank if required.

Am I a million miles out? it's the first time I've done this on a Caterham so any advice is welcome.

If i can do this myself it'll save Cliff having to come over!!!

That should be fine. I've never had any problems with airlocks refilling with the top hose QED stat. Mine came (second hand) with a disc with a large central hole to fit in the Rover stat housing in place of the stat. Stops the rubber seal distorting. I also fed the bleed from the QED stat housing with a tee piece into hose from the expansion chamber to submarine pipe.

Thanks very much!

Mines a newly supplied kit so I have the metal disc ready to fit into the Rover housing.

Another quick question if you don't mind - does the bleed from the QED housing (to your submarine pipe) face towards the back of the car? In order to get the flow orientation right it looks like the by pass from the QED housing (brass pipe) has to face that way?

I don't suppose I could be a real pain and ask for a photo of your installation could I?

That went worryingly well - bled using the blow through the expansion bottle and jack the front up method (should be called the drink a bit of coolant method). 

Runs up lovely, all hoses good and hot with the radiator hot at the top and bottom. No overheating at all and the fan cuts in perfectly on time - too good to be true maybe?!

Many thanks for your advice and photo Malcolm.