Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Side indicator - legal requirements

Superwhite R283

Tried to search but couldn't find the answer. 

Is there a legal requirement for the side indicator to be on the outside line of the car, I was thinking of mounting a round Amber LED on the hole on the nose cone (where the older style headlight bracket attached), can't see any defining criteria stating that it has to be on the outside line of the car (ie front wing). 

A lot of MOT testers don't seem to worry about them, I have heard that if you swivel the indicator pods outwards slightly then this makes them visible from the point 1m away from the rear wheel. I've considered fitting some to the side of the car (below the rear bonnet catch) but never got round to doing it. From an MOT point of view I wouldn't be bothered but I do sometimes think it might be good from a safety perspective - the more chance there is of other cars seeing what I intend to do the better, but now I hardly ever use mine on the road I expect it'll stay a long way down the list of upgrades.

Thanks chaps.

Reading Jonathans link it appears that the side indicator needs a approved mark with the number 5 on it:

5.  Markings–

(a) A motor vehicle, other than a solo motor bicycle or a motor bicycle combination, first used on or after 1st April 1986 and a trailer, other than a trailer drawn by a solo motor bicycle or a motor bicycle combination, manufactured on or after 1st October 1985:

An approval mark and, above such mark, the following numbers–

in the case of a side repeater indicator, “5”. 

Hi Steve. It was mentioned at last MOT so thought it would be good to do, but also like you mention from a safety aspect. I think I’ll get some small clear (flashing amber) LEDs and either put it in the hole for the normal headlight bracket or on the side of the indicator pod.

Thanks all *thumbup* 

From the current MOT testers manual:

'Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must be fitted with one side repeater indicator on each side.   Instead of a separate lamp, the side repeater might be part of the front direction indicator if it includes a wraparound lens. Lamps incorporating a side repeater are marked either with an ‘E’ mark in a circle or an ‘e’ mark in a rectangle above which is a number 5.  However, some vehicles are fitted with a wraparound lens with no European approval markings. These can be tested by standing approximately 1000mm to the side of the vehicle’s rear bumper with the indicator on. If amber light can be seen coming through the front lens (not a reflection) this is acceptable'

So as long as you can see that the front indicator is flashing when standing a metre off the rear bumper (or presumably where it would be) the indicators count as wrap-around.  I think you probably can given the shape of the standard indicators but in any case at my MOT the tester didn't mention it.