Click here if you are having website access problems ×

improving the headlights

Robert Cadiz

another option is these which I did a BB for last year:

http://www.lotus7.club/forum/bulk-buys/piaa-80-evo-h4-lights-now-pricing

I intend using these on the extra low brackets that another memeber whose name I forget was having made up................ I'll get searching and post that link too.

PIAA also now offer LED lights too,

I found the OE units were absolute sh!te even with decent hi power bulbs the light scatter was appaling, Cibie whilst cracking their day are now effectivley 30 year old technology hence I went to the brand of light that appears to be the choise of rally drivers.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Got the crystal 5.75" units from Powerful UK. Look good. Fitted one. On the other one, found no usable thread in the reflector casting for the screw that holds the bulb end cover, so cap flops around. The bulbs I use have a silvered cap on the end anyway. I wonder if this cap is necessary. Seems a risk .. . If it contacts the bulb it will cause overheating and bulb failure. Think I'll try without to see how it looks.

Taking inspiration from this thread and a BOGOF offer on at halfords, I decided to change the standard Caterham bulbs for the Halfords +120% ultra bright bulbs. The difference is very surprising. The colour is whiter and much more powerful.

ill go for the newer Crystal reflectors next and see if I get a further improvement but for now, £25 for 2 replacement bulbs seems money well spent.

Revilla said:

When I first got my Seven I also found the headlights appalling. I just didn't feel safe driving by them. I fitted a pair of these (with high intensity bulbs - which made very little difference on their own) and they have absolutely transformed night driving for me. As good as, if not better than, most other modern (non-HID) headlights on other cars.

Cibie 7 Inch E Approved Headlight Conversions With Side Light H4

...and JK asked:

Any modifications needed to shell or connector or wiring with these?

No, none at all, they're a straight swap, even using the same clips to hold them in a cowling. They come with a different sidelight fitting (a bayonet with 6mm spade terminals on short fly leads) but the actual hole in the reflector is the same size, so you can discard the new sidelight fitting and retain your existing ones. The hole is also rubber lined so holds the sidelight slightly more firmly.

I fitted the first of mine yesterday (in a new headlight bowl, plus new indicators and wiring, hence why I only got as far as doing one!), and the difference is "clear":

ScreenShot2015-02-16at11_17_47.png.d0300a0fb7006b76dbbbeab199f6f803.png

The Cibie is on the left of the picture; the original lens on the right is visibly more obscured / opaque, almost looking like a bathroom window. It's no great surprise that the old lamps produce a rather diffuse spread, scattering light to the four winds.

A totally unscientific test against the back of the garage door leads me to think that the Cibies are at least as bright in all the patches the original illuminates, plus they have better coverage (i.e. more bright patches). I'm probably not describing that very well... there's more light in more useful places, by the looks of it. Haven't been out for a night drive yet and not going to until the other light matches.

Both fitted with Halfords +120% uber bright bulbs.

Incidentally, the "yellow" flashes on the wings are actually 2" strips of black, reflective, vinyl.

Minor update...

A totally unscientific test against the back of the garage door leads me to think that the Cibies are at least as bright in all the patches the original illuminates, plus they have better coverage (i.e. more bright patches). I'm probably not describing that very well... there's more light in more useful places, by the looks of it.

Having this lunchtime replaced the second Wipac with another Cibie, turns out that due to a mix-up on my part, I did last night have a standard bulb in the Cibie. It wasn't obvious with that in the Cibie and a Halfords +120% in the Wipac, i.e. the bright spots were similarly bright but the Cibie still looked to have a better spread.

Now resolved with the correct +120% bulb in place, and the output looks better again by my "back of the garage door" test.

I have a question regarding the Cibie 7 inch units on eBay. They look very good are they a straight replacement fitting in the existing housing ?

Yes (replying to your comment specifically, Stephen, in the hope you get a notification and therefore see this!)

See my post above. Putting the second one in today I did notice the foward lip is a fraction slimmer (front-back) than the Wipac I was taking out; all this means is that the retaining clips are easier to put in - it's possible to get them in using just fingers and thumbs, whereas clipping in a Wipac required pliers. Still happily retained and I don't believe they're going anywhere though.

Careful! You'll be wanting evidence next!

*yikes*

Although it would also demand changing only one thing at once, so something like, Cibie+120 vs Wipac+std, then vs Wipac+120, then Cibie+std. Not entirely sure I wouldn't rather spend my time on a couple of other jobs that need doing, but if I do find myself twiddling my thumbs...

*smile*