Click here if you are having website access problems ×

improving the headlights

Robert Cadiz

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No; they don't self level. They are simply a Bi-Xenon kit retro fitted inside a Cibie lens.

The next bit took some time... I thought there had been some discussion somehwere that they had to be self-levelling. But the MoT manual only says that self-levelling has to work, not that it has to be fitted. Finally I found this DfT statement on aftermarket HIDs . It's dated 2010 but I can't tell if it still applies because it's not in the MoT manual nor the version of the Regulations that I can check. It says that you aren't allowed to retrofit Xenon HID lamps to conventional units and that Xenon HIDs must be self-levelling and have cleaning systems.

Jonathan

I use the Cibie 7" reflectors and with phillips super bright bulbs the lights are pretty good but I wanted more.

i tried Trucklite phase 7 LED lights, stunning but heavy, by far the best lights I have seen in a 7. I am currently trying cree LED bulbs in my cibie's. Yet to be convinced.

see bottom of this thread http://www.lotus7.club/comment/2113382#comment-2113382

and here for the phase 7 http://www.lotus7.club/forum/techtalk/led-headlights

Need pliers to release ... and keep hold of (!) .... the springy w-clips that hold the unit to the rim. Easy to fit. Never be tempted to try and release then just with a screwdriver. You'll never see them again when they fly ..... especially if embedded in your eye !!!

I'll stick with what bulbs are in at the moment for comparison - I think they are Halfords high intensity something or other. I'll take some pictures, not sure when I'll get round to fitting them as in the middle of front suspension work. Also, as the front of the car is in the air on stands, any photos won't be too representative of the beam pattern etc. 

Ps - yes, I have the SVC shells.  

I fitted the CIbie H4's in Black with Osram Nightbreaker bulbs about 2 years ago (probably these bulbs are way outdated now) and the difference was massive.  The change from lit to unlit zone is very marked and allows better/easier setting up.

More "light on the road" and less "light in the sky"

Got them from LAE Ltd (Lewisham Auto Electrics) who were the cheapest around at the time and recommended by other 7 owners.

Peter and Arthur were the guys to talk to at the time.

Will be fitting the same on a rebuild I am (slowly) working on,

Dave

I tried the Halfords Ultra Brilliance +90% bulbs and found the filaments very fragile .... only lasting weeks.

Conversely, I have the Halfords super-duper-ultra-mega (whatever) +120% bulbs; I always drive with at least dipped headlights on and am still using the pair I fitted 2.5 years / 12,000 miles ago.

*smile*

Maybe I just got lucky...

Robert, if it helps any, there was a car with the Venoms on last year's No Limits tour.

Checking back, I managed to coincidentally get them in a couple of pics (it's the Green / Yellow stripe S3 with the black wheels, obviously; other cars included for a comparison):

Venoms1.jpg.1219d95637a0a192a311538c29515c63.jpg

Venoms2.jpg.a9154c23e0e706be517a14734de9431b.jpg

Venoms3.jpg.b4e957fb22cc73284dfa942fec1349be.jpg

Venoms4.jpg.b6c337c3fae6d9a0844f51c0e9f40fc4.jpg

On their own I find them as SM25T does, but if you were already running the 5" bowls on the newer/lower mount points, the difference is maybe less noticable.

Unfortunately the forum resizes the pictures down some, I can send the larger pics by email if you want - PM me a suitable address.

The car with the venom lights is my old car, which I just sold.

Anthony H, are you able to send me the big pictures you have as those are really good?

2 main things I liked are the LED DLRS, really good safety feature for me, and the fact that they are so low, and imoprove visibility.

I did remove them prior to selling the car, and may put them on my new r400 which should arrive before the end of march.