Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Welding Cracked Stainless Exhaust - Recommendations / Cost?

revilla

Having got to the end of the "proper" service items this winter I decided to take my exhaust off for a polish. Good job I did - I've found it's cracked.

It's a standard Caterham SV K-Series cat-in-can side-exit single-piece (Cheesman) exhaust.

The weld where the front pipe section joins the conical section to the catalytic converter has failed, basically there is a crack running pretty much right around the cat side (rear) of the weld, you can actually wiggle the front pipe around slightly with the main can clamped to a bench. I think there's still a tiny bit hanging in there preventing it from actually coming apart or doing further damage.

Can anyone recommend anyone (the closer to the East Mids / Leicestershire area the better but will travel if needs be) who could make a decent neat job of re-welding this without breaking the bank?

Any idea how much such a repair is likely to cost?

Repairs cost only £40-ish from memory. Subsequently found a fracture in a replacement (non-CC) system ... 8000 feet up a mountain in the Pyrenees. Found a stainless welder within 20km .... who repaired it without charge ... and in their lunch time !!!!!

@Mavic82 - Nuneaton isn't a problem, only 40 mins away. There may be people nearer but a recommendation of a lovely neat job for a decent price is worth more than saving a few miles' worth of petrol. Thanks very much *smile*

@SM25T - Yes both mounts in use. Looking carefully it looks as though the exhaust has been fouling the lower edge of the cutout in the side skin which won't have helped, probably put a bit more stress and vibration into that front joint. The engine mounts still look good as new so I think I'll just relieve the cutout slightly before refitting.

Well I managed to get hold of Harrison-Randall in Nuneaton today, will weld the exhaust while I wait on Wednesday morning for me, quote was "worst case £35 depending upon rust etc., it'll take me longer to clean it than it will to weld it". Sounds fair enough, thanks for the tip *smile*

Just back from Harrison-Randall. Did a lovely job while I waited for £20! Said the original weld was MIG not TIG and that the ends of the weld hadn't been correctly overlapped, leaving two weak spots which is where the cracks had started from.

Would definitely use them again for any future exhaust repairs.

:-)

It was however suprisingly grotty behind the alloy guard when I removed it. Some of it looks like galvanic corrosion from the alloy/stainless contact, some of it looks like dirt, and some of it looks like ... I have to admit it ... good old rust (particularly areound the catalytic converter where it gets hot)!

For completeness, here is the finished repair (and the results of my the polishing *biggrin* which found the crack in the first place). There's a slight loss of "shine" where the steel has annealed in the heat-affected zone from the weld but I'm pretty pleased with a £20 repair and it sure beats £1K for a new one. I've relieved the bottom edge of the side skin hole by 5mm which will hopfully stop the exhaust hitting it on the overrun.

ExhaustWeldRepair1.jpg.3060fe04200b8de89d941c9b7977708a.jpgExhaustRepairWeld2.jpg.ed585c06602e47aea121f7eff3e016a1.jpgExhaustPolished.jpg.4190a8c19d33d6ba141a98efb3453ebf.jpg