Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Nitron Street Series

7 wonders of the world

Some details  for 'Caterham Wide Track de-Dion (pre'96) Nitron Street Series Suspension Kit' on the Nitron website -  http://nitron.co.uk/catalogue_item.php?catID=12170&prodID=84527

This link shows all the Caterham related Nitron products - http://nitron.co.uk/catalogue_main.php?brandpage=yes&categorygroup=Automotive&brandgroup=Caterham

I think the Street Series do seem quite good value if they are of the usual high Nitron standard.

GrahamV

Will follow this with interest, could be just what Im after when/ if I rebuild the car and replace the old Bilstein dampers. Seem a sensible cost, and good that the older pre96 suspension is being accomodated.  More options for the older de-dion chassis front suspension is welcome.  

Hi everyone

Staying within the posting rules here may be difficult but I will try.

I have asked Nitron to produce these for the last couple of years.  I was informed it was not possible due to the numbers/volume etc.

Last year I only sold 1 set of Nitron dampers to Caterham owners and that was a specific request the remainder were all Quantum and Penske.

I understand there was an administractive error at Nitron with regard to their overall Caterham Pricing structure which placed them as a more costly item than Quantum.

I know that Nitron want to re capture the market they have lost and now we have the NTR1 Meteor Spec priced less than Quantum.

Benefits

These dampers are very good value for money.  A quality product.

Against

Regular Nitron valving (not Meteor set up - I would say that wouldn't I - but I think I have justified the comment) *whistle*

The dampers will still require service on the same intervals as the NTR1.  The cost of a service will be not far off the cost of a new set.

Less volume of oil = higher running temps = less consistence in performance = less control.

Oh and the main thing against them - they are only available direct - not from dealers *banghead*  even though I requested them.

Hey ho thats business and I understand the reasoning and can not argue against it.

I have learnt more about suspension in the past 18 months since having the dyno and servicing dampers than all the years before - the main issue is we all tend (ed) to fit our dampers and forget!  However they are like an engine - they have oil, pistons, valves and seals.  They need servicing and thats where I can help and where my business is targeting its growth - its not a secret - I think IO read that in Low Flying.

So I am certainly not knocking the Street Series.  It has a place in the market just like all the premium products an dampers do also.

Service interval would be every 2 years.

It has the same diaphragm material so I see no change between the Street Series and the NTR1's

Thats £400 with out any re-valving!

RECOMMENDED SERVICE INTERVALS

The frequency of a recommended service varies according to the individual schedule received with the shock, however the recommended servicing schedules are detailed below.

For arduous Race use, the service time frames are dependent on application.

Automotive

Race Use - Annually/Off-Season
Road/Track - 20,000 – 30,000 km / 12,000 – 18,000 miles

From my experience its more time related than mileage in our installation/use type.

Yes I see no reason on a technical level why I can not revalve them. That would be a £60/damper cost.  I don't have an issue offering this Tom as I am a Certificated Service Centre.  

The only reason not being allowed to sell them is financial and the margins Nitron would have lost out on given that most people purchase Meteor Spec!

• 1 month later...

Im not so keen on a servicing cost of £400 every couple of years and having to drop them out every other winter, with the hassle of delivery, refitting etc along with other time pressures. The servicing cost isnt  too far from the cost of new set of Billys, so for road use/ convenience, a new set of Billys would certainly be the easiest option.   

• 4 years later...

Anthony.

I don't think you would ever question the servicing of your engine. You change the oil every few thousand miles or number of hours.

Think of the dampers as single piston engines. With it's own heat exchanger being its external surface. Oil running at over 100deg C. Piston rings scraping material from the aluminium bore of the damper. O rings seals etc.

The tolerance that performance dampers are built to are very very tight.

I would welcome anyone down here to see us open well serviced dampers compare to those that have never been done.

The stench from those never serviced is something to behold.

Yes the Bilstein can be serviced for about the same cost as the Nitron or other performance damper.

Unfortunately it has to go back to Bilstein themselves  for this to be completed. 

I would have thought you would have more than two oil changes in 24k on a Caterham. 

The Street Series should be fine for that distance before service but I would keep an eye on the time frame also.

Remember that the Street Series will give superior performance over the stock damper along with adjustment.   They will also be matched whereas the Bilstein Sport damper as fitted is built to much wider tolerances and so forces/performance measured on our dyno vary quite significantly. 

In my opinion flat flooring is only a mathematical calculation of what should be correct.

Its never reality.

I have had this on my own car and simply adding a turn at a time of preload to that corner until it stops locking is the best solution. 

Effectively its who cares what the figures says its what happens in the real world that counts.  My car runs with 2 extra turns of preload on one corner at the front.

It could, of course, be the brakes.

Yes I also suspect the brakes now you mention it, I thought I had a wonky wheel (I know it is) causing some shudder, until fitting a set of fresh wheels and tyres for the test and find it still shudders. No time to fix that pre test. Having said that, it has always done this front right locks up first: I suppose in my heart of hearts I think it is to do with my presence on that side... indeed I think my BDR does it too... the only common factor is me.