Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyres?

Tony Smith

Can anyone help? I am planning to enter the speed championship this year but am confused by the list 1b tyre situation.

I have a 2011 Roadsport SV 150 on the standard Avon CR500 tyres that are only part worn so I don't want to change them.

Which class would that put me in and what about the E ratings?

Thanks

Tony

Tony,

I believe for 2015 you would be in class 3 as the CR500 are list 1b tyres, yours is the same set up i ran last season , not the stickyest tyres but absolutly fine for first season of learning and having fun with out the expense of changing tyres.

Philip  *wavey* 

• Support Team

If they were supplied by Caterham for a road car then they should be E marked.. All this means is that they are road legal. Some were supplied to race series for race use only and may not be E marked.  You should be able to find the E mark on the side wall somewhere. 

Wouldn't this be a class 2 or 3 car requiring 1a tyres such as Yokohma A539's  or the 1B CR500's tyres you already have?  I don't believe the CR500's are considered that sticky in class 3 though. You might be more competative in class 2 with cheaper 1a tyres.

Wheel size will limit 1a tyre choices.

• Area Representative

I don't believe the CR500's are considered that sticky in class 3 though. You might be more competative in class 2 with cheaper 1a tyres. -

Tony,

I'd run on what ever tyres you have rather than buying tyres specially.

I suspect you're also running 15" wheels?

Where there is a greater split between 13 and 15" wheels used in class 2, more class 3 cars run 13" wheels due to the better tyre options in 13".

However, for your first few events, the driver is more likely to make more difference than any wheel/tyre choice.

Additionally, it's likely that there will be a greater shake up of list1b tyres next year that will change everything again :-(