Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

6 Sp Gear Oil

Mr Locust

I am looking at what oils to put in a brand new 6sp caterham gearbox and am getting conflicting views.

Handbook says Caterham motorsport gear oil grade GL4 but gives no indication of mineral / synthetic or lard let alone viscosity

First caterham man says caterham oil is available only by taking your own tin - this is impractical as I'm in the midlands and the factory is in Kent.

First caterham man says any straight ep 80 will do instead.

By now I'm getting suspicious and had to phone about something else so I asked again. Second caterham man says any ep90.

When I remove one of the shipping plugs and upend the box - thin red oil comes out

NO STRAIGHT EP GRADE OIL I HAVE EVER SEEN IS BRIGHT RED SO WHY THE BIG SECRET ?

The diff oil selection was easy - I emailed a nice chap at ZF in Deutschland and he sent me a schedule of all the ZF approved oils for plate type LSD's.

Similarly 0w40 full synthetic engine oils from just about any of the bigger manufacturers conform to the latest API classifications so it's more about brand loyalties than anythig else.

What gear oils did you use? What has been used in error and is specifically to be avoided for this unit?

Thanks in advance

Ian

You will find lot's of discussion about this in the archive.

Alot of people say that the Redline oil is the stuff to go for. Phil @ R&R told me he would be happy with any top brand EP80. he told me to keep clear of the synthetic stuff. Its so long ago I forget why.

I've used the castrol EP80 since owning the car. I've had no problems in terms of shifting etc, so i'm happy to recommend it. Have a look in the archive though if you want more opinion/detail.

Mr Locust, Ian, I think the GL4 only identifies a particular Gear Lubricant 4, as against earlier varieties, ie GL3, and so on, it doesn't have anything to do with the oil type, mineral or synthetic, or the viscosity, as to which type to use in your 6 speeder, it seems you pays your money and takes your chioce, personally I am using Castrol Syntrax 75w/90 (fully synthetic) in my clunky Ford 5 speed, have no problems and the shift is as slick and quick as you could hope for, but perhaps I'm just fortunate, sorry I can't help to any greater degree, regards Nigel.

P.s. the synthetic oil I use is bright red, and hugely expensive, must be something else in it's favour.

p.p.s. the Caterham build manual dated november 1996 section 20 (final checks and sevice info) states to use Ford oil p/n 5015547, or alternatively any fully synthetic gear oil, and the quantity quoted is 2 litres.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.

Edited by - nigelriches on 17 Jan 2003 08:31:10

Edited by - nigelriches on 17 Jan 2003 08:39:27

Thanks chaps.

This is quite ressuring as it seems to indicate that the 6 speeed box is capable of running with pretty much any oil as long as it's not too slippy.

I was expecting comments about poor shifting if you don't use a very specific type of oil and this obviously is not the case.

Does the redline really make it sufficiently better to justify about six times the cost?

Bafty. No.

The bottom line is that Caterham's race series gearbox expert is Phil Stewart and he used to recommend Shell Spirax G80 (cheap) until it was discontinued and now he recommends Redline MTL. The exception is for use in high ambient temperature conditions where Redline M90 oil would be more suitable.

Caterham outsource all their gearbox expertise. There will be no warranty issue from using Redline MTL.

I understand that Ford changed the spec of the Ford oil that Caterham specify/specified so that it is no longer suitable. I used it and found the gear change a bit balky. When I changed it at 6000 miles, I was surprised at how 'silvery' it had become.

Faced with the same dilema I followed Martins advice about Redline and purchased from Delta Oils 01476 861195 -ask for Gavin, free posting (next day) and don't forget to ask for your Owners club discount (17.5%) no connection apart from very good service!! *thumbup*

Al