Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratec Conversion

Ian Mackenzie

Well, I finally made some progress and before Christmas the K-series went to a new home leaving an empty engine bay. Last weekend I started re-wiring and the Duratec went in as a dry fit....currently resting on some wood in the right location, this weekend I will hopefully fabricate the engine mounts....here is how it currently looks...Duratec.jpg.1014206fce7cfcc67030e0d480231ba8.jpg

Cheers

Ian

My set up so far.......

- Raceline bellhousing with a 20mm spacer from RWD Motorsport to take account of the long input shaft , the dry fit looks like this all works

- V6 modeo slave cylinder and 0.7" bore master cylinder

- ST150 flywheel and starter

- Still to decide on the clutch, but it looks like Helix may be the way forwards following a discussion with Raceline

Regarding the engine mounts as I've not used a Titan bellhousing I'm not totally convinced that the engine is in exactly the Caterham position.....and I still like making bits for myself....again being different I also built my own ECU using a Megasquirt MS3 kit...

Cheers

Ian

Here is a photo of the way my clutch release was laid out:

http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn384/BBL-Sean/7%20Build%20Issues/7CRBplumbing.jpg

And here is how it looks from the outside (Titan BH on Type9 'box):

http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn384/BBL-Sean/7%20Build%20Issues/Gboxtop1.jpg

Uh, I don't know!  Ordered gearbox from BGH Geartech (through Gary at Freestyle), and the gearbox arrived with the bellhousing, clutch slave cylinder, and related hardware plumbed and installed (I added the O2 bung in the lid for ease of filling).  It works well, as this set-up allows for initial filling and subsequent bleeding of the clutch hydraulics easily.  But I do not know the manufacturer or any specifics of this unit.

BBL, I'd be interested to hear your experience of that clutch slave cylinder setup.

I had an identical installation in my VX car but was never able to stop it from leaking (fluid passing the seals) shortly after the install. I don't know whether it was a particularly strong clutch cover (Superclutch twin organic plate) putting strain on the seals, but I went through 2 cylinders before getting so ticked off with taking the engine out to fix it that I went back to the old ford clutch release fork and bearing. However, rather than cable operated, I installed the externally mounted 'pull' cylinder, as used on the VVC 'K' engines. Light, linear and touch wood, has been extremely reliable.