Click here if you are having website access problems ×

This will get some traffic on here!

Stuart Miller 7

Whilst I was thinking on the subject of upgrades and winter work I was having another look through our regulations and came across a new one - 4.6.  In particular:

"but expects the drivers to
respect the spirit of the championship by not exploiting the
regulations to gain an unfair advantage"

So what are we saying here?  I read that with 204BHP I probably ought to be in Class 5 and that maybe the reg's are suggesting that if you're more than say 7, 8, 9, BHP over a class band then you maybe ought to be in the class above and not tap the top end off to take you to the one below? 

I don't want to enter class 4 and get grief but then again, I don't want to enter C5 and find all the other 200+BHP cars in 4 and me on my own.  Happy either way and in any event, may not be able to do 7 events this year so might be irrelevant.  Just thought I'd see what others thoughts were and the general consensus.

As long as we're all happy, that's the main thing.

Happy New Year!

I think Paul is in a ideal position with regards to Class 4, being an ex class 4 competitor.

my understanding is the the class limit is the class limit but the comp secretary has some discretionary lee way to account for rolling road variances or special cases, using an example 1400 k series super sports which on paper generate 128 BHp but with significantly lower torque is still a  class 1 despite being marginally over the reference limit.

If you truley do have more power than the class limit than just the variance in rolling roads then in the spirit of the championship you should be in the higher class.

I am not sure I have really thought about that section of the regs *rolleyes* .

For us in Class 4  the plan is to keep it all the same as it was in 2014 and I think many of us have had to 'cap' the bhp to fit into the limit. Interestingly (or not!!), although my Tom New-rebuilt engine apparenly made a max of something like 220 bhp on the dyno at the beginning of the year, the max on the rolling road at JKM in Portsmouth just before Anglesey was 205.7bhp - and the capped  bhp is  about 187 on the map I use at the events.

Even if there is some advantage in having a slightly capped bhp engine over one that has a spec that fits the 190 limit exactly, the difference in engine characteristics between the K and a Duratec is much more significant. I am not sure we have much choice with the Ks, and I don't think that in this case we are 'unfairly' exploiting the regulations. On the other hand, I will happily review your map and make the necessary adjustments to make sure you don't have to worry about it *wink* *biggrin*

I need all the help I can get!!!

Mike

Agreed Chris but I think you slightly miss my point as in classes 4 and above we have programmable ECU's.

This means that I am fully in compliance with all the rules in 4 as my map is 188 point something BHP but my engine is capable of producing the 204BHP figure.  I believe Mike has similar figures and David 209 / 190 maps also.  There are probably another 2 or 3 cars also over the 190 BHP on "full map".

Now is this "exploiting the regulations" (as has been the status quo for the past few years) or is everyone happy?  Basically, are we all going to race in C4 as usual or C5?  It's quite nice to race in a bigger class that's all. 

When I turn up I want to have an enjoyable weekend - bit of driving and a nice meal out, and not have a discussion about power outputs (unless or course I race in C5 and happen to run quicker than shaun that is *jester* whereby you can be sure I'll take the moral high ground that "power isn't everything *rofl* )

Excellent, that's all decided then.

As Mr Sankey is now the most "senior" member of Class 4 I'll go with his take on the reg's and we'll all race in Class 4 in one big happy family *hehe*

I think in fairness Shaun, I didn't have to haul that big heavy duratec up that very tight narrow hill *wink* (or change into 3rd gear)

Is this a challenge to wake up the new Comp Sec from his slumber? Well it looks as though it might have worked.

This particular wording wasn’t really aimed at the power issue, although Chris’s comments are very valid and there is an acceptance that it is impossible to police an exact upper limit in each class. So there must be some degree of “working tolerance” based on the variables that arise when measuring bhp.

Let’s face it, if it was felt that power needed to be monitored and controlled precisely, we would have to start looking at weights as well and, whilst the idea of putting concrete into the race suits of certain lighter drivers *wink* has a definite attraction, I doubt that it would be very popular or necessary.

However, the words “respect the spirit” and “exploiting the regulations to gain an unfair advantage” were more about the fact that, as they stand, our regs can’t (and don’t attempt to) cover every single aspect or permutation of specification. Therefore, in theory, it could be possible for someone to spot a loophole and come up with a massively quicker car that conforms to the regs – but not the spirit. How about a 3 litre engine in Class 4 that has 190bhp but 300ft/lb of torque? A daft *rolleyes* idea of course but I hope that you see what I mean.

Maybe its time to start applying my hidden agenda and handicapping all those blue cars that caused me trouble in class 4 – as I struggled along with my ancient 8v engine. I will give it some thought.*biggrin*

Happy New Year everyone.