Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Using Heater Fan Switch as Fan Overide Switch

Tazio

As I don't have a heater, and as I want to install a manual override switch for my radiator fan, I was thinking of utilising the heater fan switch to perform the function.

Problem is the diagrams I have are not clear which a re the actual switched contacts I can use for this. Anyone give me a clue?

Alan

There's a diagram in the archives which shows how to do this with a diode to enable you to keep the built-in switching. Have a search and tell us if you can't find it.

Do you want an indicator on the dash as well?

(There's also a get-you-home tale which isn't the one you want.) 

But why do you want to do this: what's the advantage over the usual set-up?

Jonathan

IIRC the fan has an ignition switched live directly conencted, the earth to complete the circuit is via the Radiator temp switch.

I did exactly as you plan on my last 7 and just ran an earth to the In terminal on the heater switch then from the out terminal a wire to the out terminal of the Rad temp switch.

I'll use the Search function but don't hold out much hope.

It's not too hard to find the thread, but the link to the diagram is U/S. I've activated a back channel...

But if it's only for emergencies I'd carry a jump wire or the components thereof and apply it when needed.

Jonathan

Alan,

i have ohm'd out the switch and confirmed with the wiring diag.

in the standard car, pin 3 is live and switches pin 2 for low speed fan (through a resistor) on the first on position and switches fan full speed through pin 1 at the second on position. 

the side small Lucar connections power the switch tail tail.

cheers

Guy

Well done JK. *clap*

One word of caution with that diagram, and this refers to the thread of a year or so ago when Glasgow was having problems, if you happened to use a relay with an internal diode, it will be the wrong way around as marked, and relay pins 85 and 86 should be reversed.

Otherwise, job's a good 'un!

Paul