Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New Build - Engine doesn't start

cb4798

I think you can quote Mr Olly back to Caterham as they have prevoius.

Would the earth strap on the tank stop it starting ?

Dont pay for the seat either as the only reason it went back to them was beacuse it didnt start . You'd have sorted it yourself if you had not have wasted time sorting the starting issue.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't miss the next exciting episode of CB4798 v Caterham after build department. 

And given some of the obscure reasons for non starting faults, from a factory supplied kit of parts, I will be checking this out frequently. 

Mark you, the wiring loom would be subbed out to a 3rd party company to manufacture, but no excuse for them to omit wires. And Caterham should have more robust (management speak) systems in place to verify the component is correct in all aspects of design and construction. 

Just my Friday night  Sauvignon fuelled input. 

Good luck. 

Regards, Nigel. 

• Area Representative

We recently sub contracted 50 off diesel engine cable harness's to a company who specialize in such things. Never again - a complete disaster. The amount of time it took to sort out, engineers time, a very upset customer, all the travel costs to and from the customers factory and too and from to the subcontractor - a huge loss all round and not something I want to repeat.

OK, it is down to quality control and this supplier did a terrible job as he missed 2 wires out of the harness. So it is easily done and so difficult to find, when the pressure is on.

I hope it's not the same company who supply Caterham - unlikely.

This saga has been going on for some time and CB 4798 must be rightly miffed.

Piers

Out of sight, out of mind...for the moment at least. The car is having its IVA next Friday and Caterham are submitting it, so it's up to them to get it working in time. Don't get me wrong, I am very interested in the reason why it doesn't start but since I can do the square root of b*gger all about it, there is no point stressing. 

I'll contact them at some point next week to see what is happening and wait patiently for a response, then chase them for an answer. 

Whoever had "faulty ecu control unit" please step forward and collect your prize. I'm very relieved that it wasn't "sorry sir, you really have no ideas what you're doing, why did you even attempt this" (even if that is true). I don't know much more than that at the moment but apparently it did pass its IVA today.

What I didn't realise is that the dvla claim it takes 7-10 days to post out the forms required for registration. I probably should have looked into that sooner!!