Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Removable Spare Wheel Carrier

Dominic Berry

• Leadership Team

Caterham list a "Replacable spare wheel Carrier" on their race car option list (Have just placed a deposit for the 2002 Academy - whoopee).

Anyway, it may be worth following up with them.

Regards,

Michael.

Dominic.

I spaced my spare wheel assy. back by turning up a 13mm thick spacer of 55mm dia in nylon (but anything similar could be used) and then cutting 13mm off the back of the support tube that carries the retainer bolt.The important dimension is the centre hole for the bolt clearance. This needs to be kept v. close to the bolt size.

This has had the desired effect of setting the wheel back enabling me to push all the 'boot' poppers on easily and I can still fit the std. caterham rack when she's to be fully loaded (tent etc)!!!

Cost----- Just about nil!thumbsdown.gif

Why bother with these poppers at all. I have left them off the boot cover and the hood and just tuck the material between the tyre and the back of the car. For the hood, the poppers either side of the tyre will hold it in place, and the boot cover flap is held in place by its velcro strips. That way, you only need about 5mm clearance which the wheel spacer provides (assuming 185/70R13 tyres). You guys with big fat tyres may have more problems smile.gif

Never had the hood leak, no anything nicked from the boot.

Cheers,

Graham

McAlvert/Pierre,

With the latest race dedion chassis Caterham are offering a removable spare wheel carrier for the likes of Academy and Supergrad spec race cars.

Not sure how it fixes etc to the rear chassis members. Suggest talk to the factory. Unlikely to be on the CD as I think this is a recent change in the last 6 months or so.

Brian