Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Couple of queries on my widetrack upgrade

TomB

How are you going to set the suspension? Home-made tracking/ toe-in thing?

The suspension shoud be set to be symmetrical until you're into fine details for specific circuits... such as Indianapolis!

Remove the steering wheel. Set the suspension as you want it. Attach the steering wheel so it's the right way up when the wheels are central.

(Assuming you've assembled it correctly the current position of the wheel is just showing you some difference between the old and new set-up.)

Jonathan

I marked the UJ/ rack spline with a marker pen, so I thought Id set it as it was - however, with all the cleaning Ive done, I might have rubbed it off and aligned it with the wrong smudge.  Ill take it apart tonight and have another go.  Im going to set the tracking approxaimtely correct by eye/ measuring threads and then get it measured properly.  

• Area Representative

Put the wheels on. Put it on the floor and turn full lock left and measure gap between sideskin and cycle wing. Repeat for right hand side. Make sure gaps are equal

Then adjust track rod ends equally until wheels are parallel by eye. Then make appointment at BKG South.

A fresh start and it all makes sense.  Ive not dropped it of the stands yet, but I centralised the steering by measuring the distance from the same point on the wing stays to the skin and then connected up the steering and its all good.  I think my earlier confusion is what happens when working in the garage too late!  While on stands it looks like I have toe out with 11 turns on the steering rod end, I just hope there is enough thread to adjust it out, as Ive heard of folk having to cut down the rack spacer to get toe in.

Now the radiator is back on and coolant filled, and Ive torqued up some fasteners, I need to fill the front brake lines then I can drop it off the stands for final tightening, looking at rough adjustment on the track and make the front ride height the same as pre-strip down.  

Then I need to service the thing - Im looking forward to getting out of the garage in the Spring! 

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting! I've just taken the car out for a road test around a quiet industrial estate.  Observations after wide tracking are 1) The steering is very light, I wonder if I have too much castor with the 4 washer set up; 2) possibly related but the steering doesn't seem to centralise very strongly;  3) Bump steer seems worse; 4) front seems softer, but seems ok; 5) sweeping bends taken at speed seem more planted.

Does anyone know anywhere in striking distance of Manchester where I could get the front end set up properly?

I've fitted 4 washers behind the rear and front mount for the lower wishbones, so that the lower wishbones are pushed forward 4 washers worth.  Is this a good start point, or should I reduce the castor? I'm starting to feel out of my depth, and even if I get the tracking and camber locally set up, I'm not sure the castor is correct so it could be for nothing.  It's a early 1996 de dion, ie before the front end modification post 1996. 

I guess I might need to get it professionally set up. Just a bit frustrating as my old narrow set up was perfect and now it's not ;-(

I think more castor will make the steering heavier and centralise more strongly. Have you checked your camber? Also, the spring rate at the wheel is reduced because the angle of the dampers is shallower, so you might need to fit stiffer springs to get it back to what it was before, if that's what you want. Did you shim the rack in the end?

I've looked at it again this morning and I think I've fitted the washers incorrectly. It's turns out I've fitted them in front if the rear wishbone mount, and have none fitted at the front. As such, the bottom wishbones are pushed back 4 washers worth, rather than forward, so I'm running the counter opposite what it should be. No wonder it feels strange! I've not shimmed the rack yet as the rack gaiters foul the skin.  I'm swop the washers around after the GP and see what happens. 

I was right, I had the wrong washer set up. I've put the 4 washers behind the wishbones, and having now the steering weight and centralising is much better. So now I have to sort the tracking and camber. The bump steer is awful though, usefully tested with speed pillows. When the right wheel goes over the speed pillow, the car pulls left when travelling In a straight line. 

Should I look lifting the rack up with shims before setting the tracking and camber properly, or get these set properly as see how the car responds?