Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Newbie oversea questions

marcos59

• Area Representative

Me and some Belgian friends members could be interested on some club speed events.

We have few questions (expect a lot of spelling mistakes and strange questions !)

- MSA license: Could we get one as we are oversea (perhaps need to use a friend adress in UK ?)...We do not have so inexpensive none race license (at least in France)

- What could be best 2015 round for us (Think we come from Dover and 2 days event will maximise travel cost)..I dream about Anglesey but I need to be more realistic. Unfortunatly it seem there is no southern tracks.

Thanks *wink*

• Area Representative

Hi Ian *byebye*

Thanks for list: Gurston down is tempting seen from here.
- 2 day event
- Monday is bank holiday in France (is it is UK ?)
- Look like typical british racing: Cars from 30's to today, bike, side cars exactly what we will expect
- 3h from Dover...Lydden hill have been better but still acceptable.

I need tor read closely regulations and find info about MSA license..and tell to friends !

• Area Representative

To be sure to understand:

- An ex classic graduates Xflow on A048 or similar tyres is class 1
- A K serie superlight modified with Duratec with TB and supawide suspension on A048 tyres or similar is class 5

Same cars without (MOT, Insurance, Tax) are class 7 ?

Just to be sure cars are allowed.

• Support Team

Gurston is a great event with the National hill climb championship there (the big single seaters). Practice is on Saturday and competitive runs on Sunday. 

I have no idea how you would go about getting a relevant licence but the best place to start would be the MSA website. It looks like you need to be a British citizen to get at MSA licence so you will probably need to get a licence from your own regulating body that allows you to compete abroad.

Licence notes: https://www.msauk.org/assets/2015competitionlicencenotes.pdf See section 5. UK residents need a "Non-race National B" licence to compete in sprints and hillclimbs.

Sprint/hill-climb advice: https://www.msauk.org/Competitors/Guidance-Advice/Sprint-Hill-Climb

MSA 2015 regulations: https://www.msauk.org/assets/2015msayearbook.pdf Section K (safety) and section S (Sprints, hillclimbs and drag racing) are the main relevant sections for you.

The club has additional regulations

To compete in class 1 you need to run list 1A tyres - something like Yokohama A539 but otherwise an ex-academy Crossflow would probably be in class 1. A048R would put the car in class 3. If you post more details including engine mods (if any) and approximate power output and we can confirm. Duratec Superlight would almost certainly be  in class 5 depending on power output - my car is also a modified Superlight with a Duratec so would be great to compete against a similar car *thumbup* 

If you can sort out the right licence it would be great to see you there. To get an entry to Gurston you need to join the club speed championship - on-line entry will be available early in the New Year. You can compete at the club's Curborough events without joining the championship and I am sure the BMMC would offer you entry to the Saturday event on the same weekend giving you 2 days competition.

• Area Representative

Thanks for links Shaun.

Will read regulations during christmas holidays *coffee*
FFSA (French MSA) have a leisure licence but I'm a bit worry leisure and international will not got well together
Annexe K is international so it's the same here no poblem.

Two questions:
- What is BMMC ?
- Is Curboroug round a "only caterham" event ? (For me see other various "british specials cars" is aslo part of experience)

Thanks ! *thumbup*

The two Curborough rounds of the Championship are both run on the Sunday, and are Caterham / Lotus 7 only events.

On the Saturday before both events the BMMC (British Motorsport Marshals Club) run an event which we have an invite to. This event is open to all makes and not just caterhams.