Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VX - Engine Try Fit - Update - 9/1/2015 - Success and thanks|

Tazio

Please don't take your pump apart just on my sayso, I just put it up as a posiblility and you should get someone who knows these engines and pumps to confirm that this is the issue before you take it all to bits.

Do you think it is the wrong plate, or just that it needs correct re-assembly with the parts you have?

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update, took the chassis to Bruces emporium on Wednesday, had the new engine mount holes installed, so that's one problem fixed, the engine builder is resolving the oil pump bracket issue, but as Pace are at the Autosport show,  there's a slight delay on that.

Tried fitting the engine today, and nothing seems to go smooth, the bellhousing is fouling the pedal box, and is preventing the mounts from lining up.

WP_20150108_003.jpg.764f58af07b3a73bb2bc4b4be88a131d.jpgWP_20150108_002.jpg.747ea197064b6b64143161ece5358dca.jpg

So the solutions are I presume, bashing seven shades out of the pedal box or.......?, 

Anyone else had this problem?

I'm getting quite good at putting it in and taking it out.........

No, it' s one I bought from SBD, I'd be interested in seeing an original Caterham item to see if there are any differences.

Strange thing is that I was offered a second hand bellhousing that had been modified with a disc cutter but I passed on that.....

Alan

Thanks for the comments, trouble is I have no point of reference with regards to what another pedal box type looks like, nor what an original Caterham bellhousing looks like ( F355 GTS - do you still have yours?, do you have a picture of the area of casting to the rear of the starter motor?)

The pedal box shows a number of dents from when the K series was fitted, so it seems it's always been a tight fit, perhaps race cars have different pedal boxes, something I can check with McMillan Motorsport tomorrow.

Clearly the simple solution is modify the pedal box, ( hammer?) or perhaps if there are differences with different bellhousings, finding an original Caterham one might be another.

The Caterham VX clutch housing has a truncated cone shape covering the starter pinion. It looks as thought the SBD housing is cylindrical in this area. You might consider lopping the corner off the cylinder shape and making a simple sheet metal cover to keep gradoo from falling into any holes this might cause.

FWIW, thre is only about 6-8mm of clearance between the starter pinion cone shape protrusion and the pedal box with the CC VX clutch housing. It's tight!

Just a quick uppdate, I can report that after taking advice from a panel fabricator ( and borrowing his well used, shaped mallett,) and belting 7 shades , tapping really, I managed to ease enough space for the engine to be successfully fitted this afternoon.

A sincere thanks for everyone in The VX community for their help and input, it has been much appreciated.

This is such a lovely place.

Alan

WP_20150109_001.jpg.a313cb275cde346cb687173b4b845233.jpg