Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Big starter button

Andrew Dent

Got mine last week from RS - ordered it online at lunchtime & it was delivered at 8 am next day!!!

Part Number is 320-815 for a red one, about £8 + vat + P&P.

While on the subject, can any one help me? The car has a cut out key & when this is ON and the igntion OFF, the engine can be cranked on the red button.

I would like to set it up so that red button only workswhen the igntion in ON. I am not sure about the wiring - is this a fact of life with having a starter button & cut off key?

Tom,

Have a look here for a "Big Red Start Button" wiring diagram. It is for the "Big Red" plus Ignition toggle switch. If you want to just have the "Big Red" and keep the key ignition the wiring needs to be:

Before doing ANYTHING, disconnect the negetive lead from the car battery, otherwise - dzzzzt! - DAMN!!!!!

Disconnect terminal 50 from the keyswitch as per diagram.

Leave terminal 30 connected to key switch.

Leave terminal 15 connected to key switch.

Instead of connecting the 'left hand' wire from the "Big Red" button to terminal 30, connect it to the unused terminal on the key switch instead.

If in doubt, send me an e-mail with your phone number and I'll talk you through it.

Acknowledgement to previous posts (ers) on BlatChat, that's where I got this info, but as Barry is clearing-out our cupboard, it's not currently available on the archive 😬

I got my "Big Red" from Farnel; Type No. 109282. Part No. 76-9410/439088R SWITCH, FLUSH RED. GBP 8.05, but their minimum order is GBP 10, so maybe RS is the preferred option. (So far the "Big Red" is the only part of my SV I've got - sad or what?

Cheers,

(Switch & Battery) Tony 😬 😬 😬

Waiting for my BRG SV kit 😬 Is there any other colour?

(Sumo Version?) - Only another 10 weeks to go!

You need to register with RS to use the web ordering. RS is one of these strange suppliers whereby you need an account to use them. Accounts are only avalable to vat registered businesses if you register at a shop, but online any one can. Why do shops do this? Is it a tax break?

Wiring sorted & considerably tidied up compared to my first effort. Even saved the weight of 3 cable ties!! Of to Lancaster tomorrow, first time out for a couple of weeks.

Edited by - TomB on 17 Jan 2003 23:22:08

Lovely big red starter button (part no: 320-815) has today turned up from RS Components *smile*

I note it has four male prongs on the back- any idea which ones I use? *confused*

(Not wishing to rip open the bag if its the wrong one......... )

Help Please..... Anyone?

• Leadership Team

Mines arrived too! At this rate RS are going to be out of stock!

Standard guages, carbon dash. Where's the best place to mount the switch? I'm considering either -

- below & between the oil & water guages, or

- to the right of the indicator switch directly below the wiper switch.

Any comments?

Stu.

Stu, I fitted mine between the two gauges. Thought about fiiting next to the indicator switch but thought I wouldn't be able to get it on the same centre line.

I say this because dont forget there is a f**k off great tube running along the bottom of the dash board 😳

Blue and Carbon Supersport T561 LKJ

I wonder if RS are curious about the sudden run on that spec of switch 🤔

As regards positioning, it has been mentioned here before that to the right of the steering wheel is the better location (more relevant to track work I think, on the theory that if you've spun, you need left hand to reselect gear, right hand to get re-strarted via 'big red' *wink*)

Darren. I've also installed a toggle switch for the ignition and removed the barrel. I've installed the toggle switch were the imobiliser led goes (k series) and the button below between the gauges. Doing this meant that I didn't have to extent any of the cables.

Gareth

Blue and Carbon Supersport T561 LKJ

• 4 weeks later...

For those contemplating Starter Buttons (or any other wiring mods), suggest you get the (free *smile* ) catalogue from Vehicle Wiring Products - tel 0115 9305454. Loads of 12v switches, instruments and connectors. Not just electrical stuff either !

Tom (very happy with the new addition to the garage - '86 Sprint *biggrin*

And they call this progress!! I had a starter button on my first car (a 1963 mini). Just ordered a big red one from RS as well.

Meantime, can anyone advise how to properly wire in the battery cut-off for a K-series? The two main battery connections on mine are wired in, but not the ignition cutout to the small terminals. Any advice?

Griff