Click here if you are having website access problems ×

petrol consumption

stokester

I have a 1.6 supersport with an EU3 engine and recently did a trackday at Donnington with a friend who has a 1.6 superlight a couple of years older. We did about the same number of laps and runs during the day but I used a whole tank of petrol more!!! Have had a test done at John Nobles on the Dyno and they can't find anything wrong...anyone got any ideas?

I reckon my eu3 superlight is a lot thirstier than my old supersport. Once travelling up to donnington in convoy with WiLL SPIN I had to put in about an extra 6-7 litres after 150 miles on the motorway!!

And I pretty sure that we had a similar setup gearbox, dif, wheels etc

Not really sure ont he track, but I do drive it harder than the older car.

it must use more petrol to help witht he new emissions lawas *confused*

rob

Last summer I drove from Bath to Norwich on 1 tank (about 250 miles). Next day I did about 100 miles per tank, but they were on the Hethel track so lots of high revs. I find the car is more efficient in cold weather too - my winter blats are more fuel efficient than the summer ones!

Ewen Malloch

P979TMV - Yellow 1.6 K Series

Winter blats are more efficient for 2 reasons:

1. The air is more dense, so you get more oomph for a given throttle setting

2. If you are like me, you drive a little more sedately due to the imminent frost/ice on the roads and general poor weather conditions.

Put those two together and the fuel saving can be as high as 20%

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

Thanks for your humerous reply Brent....not! Show me a driver on a track day who doesn't have a lead foot and I'll show you a liar!

Has anyone ever had a response from caterham about this....lead feet aside....I did have the supersport upgrade done by nobles and not by caterham but this is only a cam change and a new ecu...it's hard to see where all the extra petrol goes on what's supposed to be the same basic engine!

At last the K's are being set up to approach XF and VX territory on economy. That will stop some smugness I hope! If you have an economical K then you need it upgrading *smile*

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Edited by - stevefoster on 17 Jan 2003 08:31:08

Steve.

Having run the 1400 SS for about a year & a bit before major upgrade itis set in (as it does) I can say how horrified I was to go from 36-38 mpg to 27 mpg!!! That's the price you pay for a 133bhp to a 202bhp hike I guess. I don't know how x-flow owners get any miles in between garages!!!

Clamshell Club Founder Member.

Oy Chris .... carefull.

Mines actually quite good. I get over 30mpg on a motorway (merest hint of throttle in 5th). But this plunges to arround 10-12mpg when hard blatting.

I would have thought at full throttle Carb'ed or Injected cars wil be just as bad .... its only part throttle where a carb'ed car will lose out, and then if its properly set up, usually by not alot.

Greg, Q 86 NTM (Green 185BHP XF)