Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Roadsports Electrical Gremlin - Help Required

Number31

Here’s a problem to solve

Car is a standard 1.6 K Roadsports

Original problem noticed first at Mallory Park where the car would drop on to two cylinders when the throttle was re-applied after breaking for Gerrards and Shaws. This happened intermittently any where from two to 5 laps after leaving the pits. Only other symptom was irratic displays on both the tacho and speedo. Once running on two cylinders the engine would not clear until the ignition was turned off and back on again where upon the engine would fire and run normally for a while.

I checked the wiring loom and connections along with all the earths but couldn’t find anything wrong and left the car in the garage on a battery conditioner until tonight.

When the car was started it ran for a couple of minutes then cut out, turning the key did nothing at all, no ignition light or starter click. Leaving the car for a few minutes and trying again saw the engine start but if any of the lights were turned on the engine would stop and could not be re-started as there was no power. Leaving the car for a while and then trying again same story.

I eventually got the car started and went round the block, the speedo and tacho would intermittently dance and the headlights flicker, if the car was rev’d passed about 5k it felt like the rev limiter was cutting in.

Has anyone got any ideas?

A Frustrated Number 31 !

I had a similar problem last year, where the rev limiter cut in around 4500 revs.

The problem turned out to be the flywheel sensor was very dirty. I disconnected the sensor, took it out and cleaned then reconnected etc. this solved the problem.

Daren.

Thanks for all the responses and well done Felix and Steve!

Finally traced the problem over the weekend.

Having removed all the connections to the starter solenoid I inspected all the crimped ring connector on each lead. The main loom feed which consists of two brown cables crimped into a battery ring connector (marked 8 x 10) seemed a little unflexible for about 20mm past the connector. Having removed the heat shrink insulation it became clear that the connector had not been crimped hard enough to hold the wires securely enough. The connection was loose and the copper discoloured probably due to the heat caused by the increased resistance of the poor connection. Once removed the condition of the crimp connector would suggest that this fault had been developing for some time and only recently had got bad enough to show obvious symptoms.

The main lesson I would take from this experience to periodically remove the cable ties securing the battery leads, solenoid trigger and loom feed and check each cable individually.

A new ring connector cured the problem and the car now runs perfectly!