Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Switched Live?

Tazio

I am wiring in my little Denso alternator, one of the pins goes to a ' switched live', but honestly I am not clear on what that means. I have read previous posts and I'm still not clear, and rather than return to my old maths schooldays and pretend I really did understand algebra, I thought I would come and ask here.

Would I be right in thinking that a switched live only provides 12v when the ignition is on?, therefore if I connected into my fuel pump feed I would be right?.

Thanks from my very cold garage...

Lol, the only instructions I have are from a wiring diagram I found via Google. The only other problem is that I don't have an ignition switch, but I am assuming that as the pump is normally only live when switched on by the ecu, then I'd be ok to use that?

What do you have that's like an ignition switch?

Yes, the fuel pump will be fed with a switched live but also will be killed by the inertia switch and might have something unusual if it's controlled by the ECU.

The bit I would be most concerned about with wiring it that way is drawing too much current. This might blow a fuse or ask the wire to carry too much current.

What's the model or part number of the alternator?

Jonathan

Roger, being the curious sort, could you forward the drawing onto me as well, please? I have a similar Denso/Powerlite to fit that needs a switch 12v as well. I was simply going to run one from the ignition toggle, which was the original barrel's terminal 15. Thanks!