Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Nail Head Connectors

revilla

Anyone know where I can get the proper nail head connectors like this?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpSZ_VaMKLnYlV-_OFUBu

To fit the new-style Caterham water temperature gauge sender like this (before anyone says it, I know I can jam a spade connector on sideways but I like to things properly!):

http://caterhamparts.co.uk/img/p/17-5892-thickbox.jpgThe actual crimp connectors and covers would be ideal, but failing that a source for connectors on fly leads would do.

@7 wonders of the world - Have you actually used one of these? Do you know for sure that the calibration is a reasonable match for the Caterham gauge. It would be good if it did work, I don't like the "spade connector on sideways" solution as there is nothing to actually retain it in place and I fear it will just work loose, and the price looks a lot more reasonable - however having tried a couple of "alternative" sensors in the past (which I'm sure claimed to be Smiths compatible) and found them to have completely different resistance ranges, I'm cautious.

@ECR - There is a VDO technical bulletin TB-310 002 here which specifies 16 different resistance ranges for VDO sensors alone! I think the Caterham sensor uses a fairly archaic scaling as each time they change engine or gauge they probably need to stick with the original scaling for compatibility of parts.

Thats a pity Andrew, I'm looking for an alternative to the Raceparts Oil temperature sender. It's marked 401-001-28.07-AST but I can't find an alternative (cheaper) supplier.

I suppose a test of the existing one might show an equivalent in the VDO range ....

Well as CharlesElliott suggested, I was going to call Caterham, but it looks like SM25T already has their answer! It's not a very good solution to be honest - yes it does fit, but there is no positive "click" to lock the connector in place. The proper connector has a detent spring that will discourage it from working loose. I know a female spade connector doesn't positively lock onto its corresponding male tab, but being a rectanglular tab it is not free to rotate in the way it is on a nail head terminal.

I will try to take some calibration readings of resistance against temperature for the original Caterham item and I'll see if there is a cheaper alternative with a spade or screw terminal that is a reasonable match - possibly with parallel and/or series resistors to match as accurately as possible.

I'll report back if I find anything suitable. Until then, if you're gauge suddenly goes to cold, the spade connector has probably just fallen off!

I fitted one for a customer the other day and used the spade connector sideways. Using a pair of nail pliers I put a small crimp in the side of the spade connector protruding beyond the nail head.

I would suggest that it was sufficiently tight so as to be a good point with which to attach the engine hoist to at some time in the future!!!  *smash* *idea*