Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Hethel Sprint - 2015 write up

Comp Scorer

So am I right in thinking that the sprint is one and one third laps, starting at the pit exit and with no less than three coned "chicanes" to slow you down?  I hope they put the finish line before the braking point for the first set of cones!

Roger, unless you've done an actual sprint there on this format, the club track day that we attended will have almost no likeness to what we'll have to drive for the sprint.

There are only two coned chicanes added for the sprint. On the track day there was one coned chicane. The sprint has one in much the same place but it will slow you down, unlike the one put in for the track day! The second chicane is the bus stop that is a permanent feature of the track. A bit like the bus stop at Llandow but not so deep. The third chicane is at the entry to Clark corner at the end of the Fittipaldi straight (used to be factory straight). This slows down the entry to the following right hander but it is early enough to allow full speed through the series of corners going past the paddock. I don't think it takes away the challenge of that sequence of corners. You still have to be spot on the correct line to get a good time.

The finish line is before the breaking point for the chicane.

Thanks Roger

Yes, the trackday "chicane" was flat in 5th so may as well not have been there.  The third chicane will certainly slow you down which is proably sensible for the sprint to be fair.  Clark corner was certainly a challenge, trail braking from over 130mph with a corner entry of 90mph in fourth - certainly more chance of an off without the chicane and especially when you are pushing it hard on the sprint.

Look forward to the circuit guide.  *wavey*