Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oily gearbox

charlie_pank

As I didn't construct Kermit myself, I haven't seen the design of the gearbox outside the car. Is there a breather hole somewhere on the passenger side to explain the oily dampness of that side of the gearbox? How often should I check the level of the gearbox oil and how is it done? (2001 Kseries 5spd) (Oh dear from reading other similar threads I suspect it's not the simplest procedure in the world)

C

Charlie'n'Kermit

The plan is: there is no plan

There is a breather pin-hole but I don't remember exactly where it is.

Check to make sure that the cover bolts are all tight; you should be able to check them with the box in-situ.

You can check the level by taking out the fill plug and making a dipstick from a piece of coathanger wire. The easiest way to get the plug out is to cut the end off a 10mm allen key so that the bit you've cut off is just long enough to go into the filler plug and there's enough sticking out to get a spanner on it.

The actual correct level is dependent on whether you have an early or late box. For one you want the level to be up to the edge of the filler hole, for the other you want it 10mm below. Don't overfill; that can force it out past the seals of through the breather.