Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VX front springs

Anthony

I think it's all balance between front and rear. As long as balance is maintained then you can go stiffer and stiffer and not suffer too much.

I think I like a softer rather than stiffer car too.

I like it without the the rear ARB.

I softened up the front ARB and that helped with the stiffer springs that were understeering a little more than the 180's with the 19mm ARB in the very slowest corner.

With the 180lb'ers I was getting drive on braking that is not good as the weight transfers etc.

Many run over 300lb fronts on VX's. In the VX race days some ran as much at 400lb and got the chassis cracking due to shock forces... I think those cars must have been very Stig like or should that be Pig like to drive...

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

With the 180lb'ers I was getting drive on braking that is not good as the weight transfers etc.

Question - does dive equal more weight on the front and more grip? With the soft front springs, I felt I could lean onto the front tyres and turn in on the brakes more easily than with the harder springs which prefer a "brake in a straight line" technique. Downside of the softer springs seems to be that I have to be a bit more progressive on and off the brakes. It's almost like I brake softly to start the car diving and transfer the weight forwards then apply more braking.

Admittedly this only comes into play at Curborough where I know the place well enough to really drive hard - much harder than I ever do on a trackday.

*confused* *confused*

Edited by - Alex Wong on 15 Jan 2003 23:56:16

Could be true Alex esp at Curborough.

I think it is a what you like the feel of thing. For quicker lap times/£ I could not beat wider rubber and more traction through no rear ARB. This balance may shift again as I up the power stakes though.

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here