Click here if you are having website access problems ×

2015 Speed Championship provisional calendar

Matthew Willoughby

Please see below the provisional calendar for 2015.  It is possible that dates may change but it is unlikely that there will be many alterations.

25th April            Goodwood
3rd May               Hethel
17th May             Curborough 1
23rd/24th May     Gurston
27th June             Aintree
18th July               Llandow
19th July               Llys Y Fran
2nd August           Harewood
9th August            Loton Park
30th August          Curborough 2
13th September    Blyton
3rd/4th October     Anglesey 1 & 2

David, I agree that it's a shame, but there is no point going to venues that don't attract a decent number of competitors.  Having analysed the number of entries at each venue over several years Epynt and Wiscombe consistently had the lowest numbers.  I don't agree that it makes the championship less inviting though.  Novices tend to do sprints rather than hills.

Matthew

I wounder if its a class thing. Class 1 and 2 did not attend Wiscombewith only 4 attending. Class 5, and 6 had very close compatision with 0.01 splitting class 6. Class 5 was also close with 0.08 between 2nd and 3rd.

Just having a quick look it seams class 2 have picked the venues on mass like Antree while not supporting other events. Is the championship venues therefore deturmained by what class 2 do or do not attend? If you believe in conspiracy theries, it looks as if class 2 all email each other and say what should we do this year.

David

David - you know the answer, become the new competition secratry, and then you can hold sway over the venues we go to.. 

Think of all the other rules you could preside over...

1. detailed engine inspection for anyone 1mph faster than you, at competitors costs

2. anyone who disagrees with you is banned immediatly

3. all competitors must wear a t-shirt with your face on, paying our respects to you, otherwise no points scored.

4.competition sec gets unlimted runs, until he is the fastest.  Or if that fails fall back to #1

5. Only events allowed in Wales or Yorkshire

6. All red cars banned - (its an Anti manu thing...)

heaven help us all *bow*

Rob*blabla*

There were 3 of us in class 2 at Wiscombe this year. Same as class 4. More than 6 and 7. Most of class 2 live up north, which probably explains why they tend to prefer Aintree to Wiscombe. Geography, not conspiracy. As for secret agreements of where we will compete - I can barely understand most of them face to face, and last I heard they haven't got t'phones and inside toilets up there yet, never mind t'internet and t'email.

And if competitors did agree which events to go to - so as to increase the class competition - is that a bad thing? Better than picking events based purely on where they think they might win a pot.

I think you'll find that Class 2 actually attend more events than any other class. And there is no collusion in which events to enter, other than twisting Alan de Hat Bowler to venture north to Anglesey this year.

It's a simple fact of life that if there arn't enough entries from us at a specific venue to provide a representative field then it is fine that it can be reviewed and replaced.

so if anyone wants the not so popular venues to stay on the calendar they need to actually enter them when they are on........ 

Rob

David - you know the answer, become the new competition secratry, and then you can hold sway over the venues we go to.. 

Think of all the other rules you could preside over...

1. detailed engine inspection for anyone 1mph faster than you, at competitors costs

Better than putting my head in the sand and ignoring it. It should be the person who modifies the car to make sure it runs within the rules, so yes at competitors cost.

2. anyone who disagrees with you is banned immediatly

No not the 1st time but may be the 2nd. *bow*

3. all competitors must wear a t-shirt with your face on, paying our respects to you, otherwise no points scored.

No why would I want to give members nightmares.

4.competition sec gets unlimted runs, until he is the fastest.  Or if that fails fall back to #1

Been going on for years, so no change there.

5. Only events allowed in Wales or Yorkshire

Not sure I would want too many events in Yorkshire, seeing the mother in law once a year is just about spot on.

6. All red cars banned - (its an Anti manu thing...)

Yes lets go on estage further, shoot all red car owners*thumbup* what colours my Lad rover? Red, wheres the shot gun*redface*

In past years there has been some discussion on droping events and adding new one. Antree was going to be dropped due to poor attendance IIR, but was agreed to be kept and had a big entry this year. Epynt I can understand but a national A hill, a proper hill climb its madness from where I sit. I do feel understand others feel diffrent and keeping a balance is difficult.

I make no appology for my thoughts as I know I am not alone.

David

- See more at: http://www.lotus7.club/forum/club-speed-events/2015-speed-championship-provisional-calendar#sthash.sIVpL336.dpuf

I dislike commenting because it implies criticism of people who are working hard to arrange the championship, this is not intended.

The championship dates look nicely spread through the season.

I also rarely agree with anything David (Nelson) posts :), but i will make an exception and agree that the demise of Epynt, Shelsley and Wiscombe are quite a loss.

I think not long ago we had 15 rounds, this is down to 13 rounds over 11 weekends. As a shift worker, working 2 out of 4 weekends, it starts to look a bit difficult to see how 7 rounds can be fitted in. Looking forward I think we need a couple more rounds at least, even if that is at the expense of attendance numbers.

As I said earlier, I make no criticism of anybody, just some thoughts for future years.

I agree Nigel. Again, not a criticism as I know how difficult these things are to sort out. I would have all three that you mentioned on the calendar as well, if possible.

Still, as I said earlier, well done to Matthew.

I will likely be doing another championship next year as well in order to boost the number of hills.

Gent's 

I think the complaint in previous years was that there were too many events at 15 , whilst wiscombe clashes with Blyton in september , I don't think Epynt would clash. 

Only 15 from us competed at Epynt this year, which is fairly typical from previous years. 

Whilst I could not do Epynt anyway next year i'm sure if a significant number of competitors i.e. more than 25, wanted to compete at Epynt i'm sure the Comp Secs would consider, however from past experience its doubtfull that number of competitors would want to compete at Epynt.

Wiscombe has for whatever reason always struggled to get huge amounts of entries, maybe it is its location...maybe some are put off by the course (that reason is a major attraction for me)

However we had I think around 20 competitors this year which is well up on the last time we went there in 2012.  I wonder if competitors had known it was at risk of being removed from the calendar due to low numbers then maybe more would have made the effort to go back...

I have nothing against Blyton, which I thourghly enjoyed in 2013 however my view is that I would always always try prioritise Wiscombe, whilst Blyton is always a maybe I will do if something is at stake...

Maybe for future years we can have a discussion about returning to the hills more often, but I am worried that becuase we turn down the organisers we won't be invited back...

Rob

When posting about the 2014 Provisional Calendar on 8th October 2013 Matt wrote:

"Those that look particularly vulnerable are Epynt and Wiscombe so you must support those events if you want them to stay."

This was the warning, and the increase in numbers seen at Wiscombe this season was probably down to this. The uptake wasn't enough.

so the championship is deturmined by class 1 and 2. Class 1 and 2 had a very poor turn out.

Wiscombe

Class 3 more at Wiscombe than at Llandow, Lys y fran, Loton and the same number as Gurston.

Class 4 had the same number of compeditor (3) as were at Llandow, Lys y fran and Harewood. It had 1 more than at Blyton.

Class 5 at Wiscombe had more than 50% of those registered for the championship. The same number as Curborough, Loton, 1 more than Gurston down, and 2 more than Anglesey

Class 6 at Wiscombe although had no one who did the whole championship had the 2 who we fighting it out with 6 events each, with Rob winning overall with the 6 events

Class 7 Wiscombe 100% turned up.

David