Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Position of Watts forward link arm

Macchiman

Just rejoined the club after a gap of a few years and notice that there have been some changes to the web site / forum.  From what I read, it looks like the jury is still out on the new look..........

Checking over my recently acquired Sigma engined Supersport, I noticed that the forward link arm is in the lower position, whereas my old 7 and the build manual have the link arm in the upper mounting position.

What difference do the alternative positions make?  Comfort takes precedence over ultimate handling at my age.

You do mean the two-piece Watt's linkage rather than the one-piece radius arm?

The May 2012 Assembly Guide for the two-piece linkage says: 

"9.8.3) Link arms to chassis

With the De Dion tube in place attach the forward link arm to the upper mounting bush on the chassis using caphead bolt (fastener pack 30R011A Item 2) pass from inside the cockpit, through the link arm."

Jonathan

The latest Assembly Guide says: "On some series 3 chassis a lower fixing boss is supplied to give optimum suspension geometry when used only for race and track purposes. This setting is not recommended for road usage."  The AG is a little ambiguous on this point as the comment resides in the section referring specifically to radius arms.  But AFAIK the advice applies equally to Watts links.

JV

Upper for comfort, lower for handling.
I've had several Watts-link'ed cars and they were always setup in the lower position.

The Watts-link is for improved handling, so it is senseless to put it in the upper position - I think it will probably upset the geometry if anything, due to the way it works.

If you want best comfort - let me know - I'll buy you a pair of brand new radius arms and swap them for your Watts-link kit :)

Upper for comfort, lower for handling.
I've had several Watts-link'ed cars and they were always setup in the lower position.

The Watts-link is for improved handling, so it is senseless to put it in the upper position - I think it will probably upset the geometry if anything, due to the way it works.

If you want best comfort - let me know - I'll buy you a pair of brand new radius arms and swap them for your Watts-link kit :)