Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Live Axle Suspension Upgrade

ChrisS

I am fed up grounding on speed bumps, can anyone suggest the best/most effective upgrade to overcome the problem?

I was thinking of replacing the standard spax shockers with adjustable spring seated shocks but which ones, and do I need new springs as well?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Chris,

I have a 90 live axle. I upgraded my supsension to Leda adj from James Whiting. They are quite expensive, but the ride is now very good. You can save about £50.00 by buying direct from Leda. I can advise/help if required. I live in Wilts. My number is 07712 840419, if you need to chat. I went through all the options before deciding on the Leda's

Robert

Chris, My live axle is still under construction for nearly two years now blush.gif schoks are Spax front: G600 8.5" long 310 pounds 2 1/4dia.springs rear: G305 12.5" long 140 pounds 2 1/4 dia. springs this is a fast road/track day set up ( springs where made by Faulkner )

elie.

ChrisS,

Surely there are two different issues to your question: the performance of the springs/shockers, and raising the ground clearance of the car, presumably at the sump.

The performance side first. I replaced the standard spax springs/shockers on my 98 VX scholarship car with the latest factory spec for live axle cars which are progressive Bilsteins and matching springs (approx £300). The maker the car seem a little softer in normal road use but the handling of the car weas completely changed and much more predictable and far nicer to drive - both on the road and the track.

Adjustable platforms will let you raise the ground clearance of the car but surely at the detriment to the handling. I suspect you will not be able to raise the level high enough to stop you completely bottoming out on some humps. You may be better off looking at your wheel/tyre combination - if you are running 13 inch wheels with 185/60 tyres then you are at the very low point in clearance. I am sure some of the excellent technical guys on this forum car help here with recommendations.

Hope this helps,

Brian

Thanks guys,

It would seem that there is more to this than I first thoughtnly using the 7 for road use I am not too concerned with the ultimate handling.

Not only is it the sump that takes the knocks but I keep breaking the jubilee clips that hold the muffler guard, and bottoming out on the rear end.

Chris

I have adjustable height Spax's in my live axle - don't know the spring rates 'cos they came from Arrowstar as their 'club special'. I have the ride height set to 0.5" above that specified in the build manal - this gives me about 4.5" ground clearance under the sump and I haven't hit a speed hump in ages. For road use, the handling doesn't seem to have been compromised to any noticeable degree - either that or I'm not going fast enough cool.gif

Cheers,

Graham

I have my ride height set as per the recs - Rear just in front of the rear wheel - 155mm. Front, at the point where the floor pan finishes, 140mm. There has to be at least 10-15mm diff between rear and front.

This gives me about 3 3/4 inch under sump. I initially set up 140mm measured at the second horizontal bar at the front of the car, that gave me 4 inches under the sump, but was too high. The car started to oversteer, so I lowered to the rec settings and everything seems ok. Remember to set ride height with full tank of gas and someone in the drivers seat.

Robert