Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wide band Lambda sensor plug

Dave B

On the other end is the lambda sensor. Wire is certainly long enough. I have tried prising the wires out with a jewellers screwdriver but no joy. Am thinking trying to get the grommet over the sensor as that is marginally smaller that the connector. Judicious use of rubber lube might just do the trick.

Dave B 

Could take the wire through the exhaust hole in side skin but a) it would look naff, b) would be toooo close to exhaust. Under side skin would leave the wire susseptible to stones etc.

No need to insulate wire if I can get it through side skin as I will cable tie in engine bay to passenger footwell.

I ran mine under the side skin for a tempoary set up to do some initial mapping work, had to make a extension up as the loom wouldn't reach the probe harness.

Are you looking to run with this full time? or merely for mapping, I ran open loop after the Emerald session and removed the cat and lambda and blanked the boss with a plain plug, neat and you get the engine running on a proper map too.

Dave is in Gran Canaria, so the CAT has to stay where it is unfortunately. There probably aren't many Emerald mappers out there, so a relatively close base map and adaptive mapping using a wideband lamba is probably the best option.

Otherwise, I would fully agree that removing the CAT and lambda sensor reduces weight, wiring and another thing to fail, as I don't run a lambda sensor either. However, I would map the car without a CAT if I was to run without a CAT most of the time, just in case it affects anything.

Thanks guys for your comments. Lambda is now wired under side skin and seems to not be a problem.

Mankee you are correct I must leave the cat on as the insurance companies here will declare your car illegal if it is not as it was for ITV ( and you make a claim of course ).

The good news is I have found two people over here who are familiar with Emerald and have rolling roads, result. Just need to get the engine rebuilt to 1800 and get it mapped.

Dave B