Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Steering rack removal

TomB

Hi,

I'm thinking of removing my steering rack over winter as I'm hoping to be fitting a widetrack kit, so it's a good opportunity to get the track checked over whirl it's all in bits. 

However a potential hurdle will be removing the rack when the car is on stands in my single garage.  As I have a single garage, there won't be room to remove the rack side ways through the holes in the skin.  Is it possible to remove the rack by drawing one end into the inside of the chassis and then manueovering the rack out frrom above or below? 

Ttfn 

As above. Reason this is the way is because (iirc) the pinion does not fit through hole in side skin.

Of any car I've ever worked on, 7 has the easiers rack remove/refit.

Whilst rebuilding, are you getting wide track trackrods fitted so you don't have to use converters?

When reassembling, as soon as rack attached to spaceframe centre the rack to the frame. Then refit the column and stg wheel. This gives you the correct "straight ahead reference point for the rest of your front suspension and steering geometry set up.

Peter

Thanks for the tips. So in your experience, do you partly draw the rack out of the LHS, then lift up and out over the RHS headlamp, or take it through the front of the car having removed the rad? Just trying to visualise the job and work out if I can do it in a single garage.  

Re wider track rods, I had that very thought if I put the rack in for an overhaul. Would make the front end look cleaner. The only doubt I have is that Its harder to go back if there is a problem such as the wide track rod end is too wide, and I can't get the correct adjustment. I'm sure I read of someone with a similar problem here.  

• Area Representative

Tom

You can fit and remove a steering rack (wide or narrow) in a single garage. Removing radiator may assist to bring out via the front, although you may get away with unbolting the radiator (leaving hoses connected) and "ease" radiator out of the way to allow rack to pass.

By the way, BKG have tracking equipment.

Hi Tom

As Peter correctly says the rack wont come out through the holes in the sideskins as the pinion is too tall.

I am perhaps missing something here but is the rack in need of maintenance as they are not prone to wearing to any great extent. Or is this a purely asthetics?

The rods are made by Titan who wont supply directly (single supplier agreement with CC) and from memory the last time I rebuilt a rack for a customer, CC dont list the arms as single units (I could be wrong about that but I cant see them listed on the CC site.)

I  dont think that the extensions are that bad but that just my take.

Perhaps you could consider fitting the IVA (SVA) black plastic boots to cover the extensions. It would be a hell of a site quicker and easier! *idea*

I would like like to remove the rack as I've got some lifting powder coat / rust on the arch which I can't get at to treat unless it's removed.  

The rack, as far as I know is Ok, but as its done 53000miles, I was thinking while it was all apart, it would be sensible to get it overhauled. I've a contact who can do it reasonably locally for about £50. Is is not worth the hassle? 

If I get it stripped and overhauled, I could easily ask the mechanic to put it back together with the track rods here 

http://www.caterhamparts.co.uk/product.php?id_product=2643

(Shown out of stock surprise surprise!) and not have the extension pieces.

As always, a mixture of opinions and things to think about! *read*