Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replacement exhaust

Andrew Dent

Having just lugged the 6 inch silencer about on my SLR, has anyone any experience of custom made exhausts, or carbon silencers. The existing one is heavy. The car on a diet is far easier than me loosing some lbs.

Could an R500 exhaust be fitted to an SLR. Where are the mounting points on the R500 exhaust.

Andrew

You wouldn't be able to fit an R500 exhaust can onto the SLR manifold (at least not without some butchery). It'll be much noiser too (which could be a problem depending which track days you pick). You could fit the complete R500 system although the engine won't be mapped for it, and it'll make more difference to the weight of your wallet than anything else.

Mike

Mike,

thanks for the info. I currently have a side mounted silencer that used to go to a silencer mounted on the back of the car. Rear silencer now no longer on the car. A short pipe from Demon Tweeks sorted that problem. Every time the car compresses over bumps, or comes down from some flying lessons, the tail pipe takes a real hit. Sometimes it abandons ship totally. To move to a differing exhaust would be a nice solution. One that weighed less than the currrent would be good. Cannot put a pipe directly on to the silencer as it fouls the rear tyre by several inches. A carbon bolt on exhaust silencer would sort the problem.

Andrew