Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Exhaust bobbin nuts!

Upstoke

Tried to fit a new exhaust bobbin, purchased from CC, last weekend. Easy I thought.  Nuts from old one wouldn't thread on new bobbin. Both should be metric. CC sent me new nuts. Came to fit tonight and still will not thread on  *confused* . Am I doing something numpty like wrong? Or is it just a case of a couple of spanners and brute force? *smash* Any advice please. 

This might sound silly - have you tried putting a nut on both ends of the bobbin, or just one?

Just thinking it's possible that the bobbin thread may be damaged at the end and that is what's preventing the nuts from engaging. Even a small, difficult-to-see amount of damage or sprue to the threads can cause a problem. Would seem unlikely if it's both ends though, when "We found an old bobbin down the back of the sofa and sent you that" might be the issue...

Cheers for the comments. Had two new bobbins to try. None will thread. CC sent me new nuts as they said new bobbin was metric. Nuts they sent, according to the invoice, are 5/16" UNF full plain. These don't strike me as being me very metric! However they fit smashing on the old bobbin. *clap*  Think I need to visit a local purveyor of metric nuts. As an aside do any of you think it's worth fitting Nyloc rather than standard nut and washer originally fitted? 

Brass nuts good for that application too.

If correctly tightend shouldn't need any locking device, compound, washers.

As the ru bber is notorious for failing, a loop of coathangar wire through bracket and exhaust lug will save your pipe being mullered on the riad if the bobbin fails.

Thanks Richard. Have found a couple of nuts which fit fine, but appreciate your offer . Seems a metric nut best fits a metric bobbin. Must let CC know as it's sure to speed up production. Just need to sort out the fog light for the MOT. Watch out for another thread on that issue! Cheers Jim.