Click here if you are having website access problems ×

aftermarket ECU

Bricol

After a few conversations at Autosports, my belief in the EMerald ECU has been wobbled - there would appear to be a few going wrong - not doing quite what it should - fire the spark!

Anyone care to substantiate or deny such rumours? Anyone got any good or bad experiences to share about ANY aftermarket ECU setups?

And what I should have put was - specifically wrt the K-series but any others of interest.

Bri

Edited by - bricol on 13 Jan 2003 20:27:57

got a couple of problems with my mbe. not that serious, more irritating.

runs the car ok, but theres no separate cranking advance so sometimes it kickbacks on turnover which has screwed my starter i think - keeps sticking and has now decided to die.

also its gang firing so i have a problem getting the injector duty below 90%. it was 97% max before i would the pressure up to 60psi 😳

the pump relays have a habit of not bothering as well, but i havent had that yet.

plus the fact that mbe dont answer any tech questions and it costs a fortune to map.

mutter mutter *tongue*

The rumours emanate from a particualr individual who has since discovered that his problem is entirely unconnected with the ECU.. he had tried 2 Emeralds to see both of them 'develop' the same fault. A case of mistaken diagnosis.

Oily

5 years with the same Emerald ECU.. still going strong.

Had mine I think about 8 years. Only time its ever gone wrong is when I burnt it out by fitting a coil with too low a resistance, but they fixed it in 5 days. The only drawback with Emerald can be that they have a reputation of being a bit slow to customer enquiries and new orders, which I think is because they are victims of their own success. Don't know if this has improved lately

I also know of an Emerald that is maybe among one of the first released. It's been sat idle in a lock-up for 5 years. Put it back in the car it came out of (Pinto engined 3 door Sierra Mod-Saloon), and it fired pretty much first go. If I was going to buy, Emerald would be top of my list, with DTA a close second.

I've used my M3DK on my 1400 which became a delight to drive,

swapped it over to a wasted spark, DVA conversion and also tried it on an Elise.

The after purchase service is fantastic, the only problem that developed was diagnosed repaired and upgraded before I was even aware of it.

When you add in Dave Walkers intuitive mapping and setup expertise, one would be hard pressed to find a better combination anywhere.

Lawrence (Very satisfied customer)

Just had a quick look over from Elise-land. I think I am "said person" who had a couple of engine problems recently, which seemed to be ECU related but in the end weren't. In my opinion, the M3D’s a nice piece of kit that is very competitively priced. It does what it says on the tin.

I hope that puts any rumours to bed, not that I have knowingly started any!

Another satisfied customer who benefits from ad-hoc email updates from Karl as they become available.

On a previous car, a xf, my very early model M3D failed, but Emerald rectified it very quickly according to my schedule of a booked holiday.

The only thing that's an irritation is that they have so many great ideas which they will incorporate over time... and I'm impatient. Long live Emerald. Accept no substitute.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours