Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series ecu

Paul Drawmer

I am looking for an ECU for my VVC engine.

I have been offered an ECU was taken from a 1994 Rover 214i (K series)

Part number is MNE10086

Is it possible to re-program this lump of hardware with the management system for my VVC?

Am I right in thinking that I MUST have the original chassis number in order to access the ECU to re-program it?

Alternatively, has anyone got a VVC ECU unit I can buy?

I wouldn't have thought that the ecu from that car woud work

not only will there be no control for the VVC mechansim, but also I do not think the VVC came out till 95/96

currently I do no think there is an aftermarket VVC program,able ECu, but Emerald may be workign on one

rob *smile*

Thanks for the replies folks;

However, I thought I'd heard from somewhere that with the right tools (Rover stuff) it was possible to upload different software to an ECU. I'm not talking about 'chipping' in the usual sense, just re-programming with the standard software, as would be needed to commission a new ECU.

I suppose what I'm asking is:

Are the Rover ECUs all the same hardware, with differing software, and would a Rover man be able to upload the correct system for me? *confused*

Paul D.

The ECU from the 214 you have been offered is of no use to you for a VVC at all. You will need the Rover ECU that has two plugs on it, a red one and a black one. They cannot be reprogrammed once it has been done.

If you find one and get an immobiliser from another Rover or your current Caterham one then a dealer can match them up in a couple of minutes when fitted to a car.

The MEMS 1.9 are all the same units with different programmes in, the MEMS 2J is unique to EU2 VVC engines.

The EU3 ECU's, the ones with one large and one small plug, are all the same internally for standard and VVC engines, they are flashed at the end of the line with whatever that car requires. They still cannot be reflashed.

Simon.