Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wire through bulkhead to battery

Alan Reeves

Alan, the "big rubber grommet" is for the main wirring loom which drops down from the dash near the middle of the transmission tunnel.  The loom is then cable tied to the inside of the tunnel and appears in the engine bay to the right and at the level of the top of the gearbox when viewed from the front of the car.

As an alternative, if you have only limited power requirements this side of the firewall, why not tap into an existing fused/switched feed from the fuse box? 

To be honest, my sevens have all three options in place: grommets through the firewall (for fan-override and speed sensor), feeds through the transmission-tunnel big grommet - plus tapped feeds from unused switched/fused connections on the fuse box. 

Quite a mess - a result of organic growth over a decade or so - and on the winter list for the last five or more years (but never commenced). Plan ahead and avoid this scenario!

I've got a new auxiliary fuse box ready for all my gadgets and additional guages - just need to clean out the rats nest and fit it!

Thanks Myles, they seem to think the wire should be placed directly to the battery to avoid interferrence ?

I will find someone with electric fingers, I am very negative about touching them apart from direct to the battery but yoiurs would be a nicer/neater way I would have thought.

after L to B

alan

Have you got an FIA battery cutoff or similar? That would provide an almost-direct switched feed from the 'correct' side of the firewall. If you do connect direct to battery, you will need to be certain that you can switch the device off to avoid parasitic load draining your battery.

Found a way through that looks easy. the Heater wires go through the firewall and I can ease anothe litte red ad blacl wire through there...and there is even a littlehole in the heater surround ( at the bottom and assuming to moved ingress water) 

so nearly ready to start to install

alan