Click here if you are having website access problems ×

DRL solution & LED H4 bulbs with video

Mavic82

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought, should one wish to just hook these up as additional sidelights - is there any legality that would prevent that?

I prefer using dipped headlights to DRL, precisely so that the tail lights are also lit, so I'm thinking of using the above but without a dimmer and wired to the sidelights feed rather than ignition.

I'd keep the sidelights in the headlight bowls as well; is there any reason why a 'second sidelight' that went off when the indicator flashed would be an MOT or legal problem? I'm ignorant in these things...

Wow, the things you learn when actually reading the highway code...

https://www.gov.uk/general-rules-all-drivers-riders-103-to-158/lighting-requirements-113-to-116

4. Lighting requirements (113 to 116)

You MUST

• ensure all sidelights and rear registration plate lights are lit between sunset and sunrise
  • use headlights at night, except on a road which has lit street lighting. These roads are generally restricted to a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) unless otherwise specified

I never realised you could get away with *not* having your headlights on at night on a lit road. I always flash people running on sidelights alone. Oops.

My first guess based on the above (first bullet) is that a sidelight that goes off when the indicator comes on is not adequate as a sidelight.

Meanwhile, the MOT testers manual says of "position lamps"...

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_110.htm

Check that the lamps:

(...)

f.
are not adversely affected by the operation of any other lamp.

...therefore again, lights that turn off when an indicator runs are probably not acceptable as sidelights.

However, that same guide also says:

Additional or optional lamps are not included in the inspection.

As I'd be retaining the actual side lights in the headlight bowls, and the new LEDs would not be DRLs either (not on with the ignition), I think I could argue they were "optional" lamps and therefore not to be inspected.

Maybe.

Hmm.

Did you find the specific DfT statement on DRLs?

The legal requirement is to meet all the current Regulations whenever your car is on the highway but in practice most people rely on passing the MoT. I would guess that for private cars the number of proceedings brought in other ways is tiny, unless you have an accident or draw attention to yourself in some other way...

Jonathan

They would work fine as additional side lights but would be illegal as they are to bright.

the bulbs though are fine, figured out the issue with the dimmer frying bulbs. The dimmer is fine simply feeding DRLs and my switch back bulbs are fine on there own but together the circuit has issues. More diodes would be needed.

so I have ditched the dimmer and all is fine.

How about wiring so that when the sidelights/headlights were switched on, the DRLs go off?

Did you just cable tie the additional wires to the outside headlight brackets? I found it an absolute pig to feed wires through the headlight brackets (newish low type).

I have Cree LED bulbs in my sidelights which I think are bright enough to be a subsitite for DRLs.  I'm thinking of wiring my sidelights so that they come on automatically with ignition.  I guess it should be straightfoward.  Has anyone done that?  I have been running with sidelights switched manually but have left my lights on a couple of times and needed a jump start :(