Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New site: Links in pretransition posts

Jonathan Kay

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. I can see two opportunities from this:

1. There's a lot of information in those links that we need in technical Guides and wikis. I wonder if it's possible to increase the access rights for authors so that they can see the strings in other members' posts.
  2. It might be possible using a string editor or macro or built-in function to restore the orginal links across the whole site.

Jonathan

Jonathan

the transitioned links may well have worked in testing as they just pointed to the old site. Now it has gone, they don't work...

It would need a big lookup table to convert the old blatchat indexes to the new ones unless it has already been captured as part of the transition. 

Steve

• Area Representative

I don't, not for a single moment, think that the developers will go back to attempt another importation of old BlatChat, so I wonder if it should remain as a legacy site, available for reference but closed to new entries.

Because I am dim, I can not see an alternative.

It would need a big lookup table to convert the old blatchat indexes to the new ones unless it has already been captured as part of the transition.

I don't know much about either system, but if the content has been migrated it might be possible to reindex without reimporting.

Jonathan

Jonathan

it depends on whether the migration just converted the old posts (using an index number) into the new style using the topic name. The easiest way to do this is to do it post by post, without keeping a record of what the old index was, as at first sight there is no need for it post conversion.

However - a record of the conversion is exactly what would be needed to map any old link to the new style index. Hopefully a record was made for debugging purposes and is still around somewhere. 

Steve

I found that string by:

1 Finding the post including the link.

2 Hitting the "edit" button so that the dialog box appears.

3 Selecting the linked text in that dialog box. Safari then shows the URL at the bottom edge of the window. But I can't make it appear anywhere else.

I can only do this on my own posts because I can't edit others.

Jonathan

ScreenShot2014-11-10at16_08_13.png.8b831d35e0042693cd51a2b263b506e2.png

Thanks Jonathan - that was helpful.

I trawled through the site looking for posts of mine where I had given a link (not made easy by the limited search functionality!). Most of the posts I found had non-functioning links - just a '/' in the url field. (e.g. the numbers game)

Then I found one with a link that worked - here The weird thing is that all the links in this thread are working - this means that the conversion was working at some point! Unfortunately all these links are to external sites, so I'll keep looking for one with internal links.

Thoughts:

1. The numbers game is in the test area so it is possible that they didn't bother converting the links
  2. It looks like something may have gone wrong in the conversion...

Steve

Broken Links with '/' in url

SV/S3 comparison

Thread with working links

Foam Seat the last post in this thread has a link to the canoe thread... So links to other threads were being converted.....