Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Block Quote randomnesses

AntonyH

When using "block quote", the results can be "a bit weird".

I copied numbered bullet points from a post and pasted them into a new post of mine, using the block quote function to format the quoted lines.

From: http://www.lotus7.club/forum/chitchat/rubbish-thread

Here's JK's original post:

BQOriginalPost.png.d404e57a3b7f157a4acbc5224cafd243.png

Text highlighted and pasted in, block quote selected for just the copy/pasted lines:

BlockQuoteEdit.png.01684111bbb6f9a9ed1eb5026c8af61a.png

(...I also had to reset the list from unnumbered bullets as it pasted in, to numbered list, but that's not a major issue at all.)

Text then displayed in my post:

BlockQuoteDisplay.png.5554273952dc0b1eacb014cf2bf72743.png

The top and tail quote marks are acceptable if considered to indicate a block quote, no real issue there;

The quote marks around *only* the first line are incorrect, given the whole block is already quoted;

The emboldening of point 4 is also just plain wrong, it makes it look like I've chosen to draw specific attention to that point (as it isn't bold in the original), which I haven't.

If I go to "Edit" my post, the edit window looks exactly as it did originally (middle screen shot - in fact that screen shot is from the later attempt to edit). No quotes around point 1, no bold formatting of point 4.

• 11 months later...

Just to resurrect this bug, I had exactly the same problem here (see post #8).  What I actually tried to do was quote the full text of the earlier post.  What I actually got was:

• Quotation marks around the first paragraph
  • The second paragragh entirely in bold

That is truly bizarre, and has the added disadvantage that I was appearing to stress the second paragraph (which I wasn't).

JV