Click here if you are having website access problems ×

5 3/4" head lights

KRL

I'm planning on fitting some 5 3/4" headlights over the winter to replace my 7" ones.  

Am planning on sourcing the mounting brackets from Caterham but am wondering if I might be better off getting the headlights from elsewhere as the Caterham ones look quite expensive at £114 each.

http://caterhamparts.co.uk/product.php?id_product=2067

Are there any recomendations on where else I could get some black 5 3/4" headlights from?

Hi KRL

If you change to the Caterham lower brackets you end up with the cut out showing in the side of the nose cone and you have to make mods to get the wiring through. If you use the alloy ones from Meteor they mount in the same place as the older type and the wires go through the tube.

I also got my smaller lights from SVC.

Regards

Mrp

Though as posted they will fit normal brackets I assume your reason for change is purely cosmectic, however in my expirience the performance of the OE 7" lights is woeful and the 5 3/4" are even worse.

If you intend using the car for touring or night blatting I'd look at performance first, buld upgrades only make the failing of the OE lights even more apparent - tourch in a colender springs to mind!

I tried various 50% and 90% increase bulbs either Phillips of Osram, yes they increase the output but cannot improve the woefull performance of light optics / reflector which are simply outdated.

The bulb upgrades merely highlight the holes in the lights performance, I'm looking to use the PIAA lights I sourced in a BB ealier tihs year mounted on low profile brackets, the other option is LED which another member has tried too.

Thanks for the replies *smile*

My reason for change is purely cosmetic as I do prefer the look of lowered and smaller lights.  SVC looks like the way to go for the lights.

MrP you mentioned the Meteor brackets.  I had a look and found these ones - https://www.meteormotorsport.com/shop/aero-bodywork/alloy-headlight-bracket/

Are these the ones you were refering to ?

Hi KRL

Yes they are the ones, they use the existing high bracket cut outs in the nose cone. When I looked into changing to the low ones from Caterham on my 2009 chassis it would have also meant drilling the chassis to get the wires through where the bracket fits on the top suspension arm mount. Also being left with the cut outs showing.

The meteor brackets seem a much neater solution, you can see them on my profile picture.

Regards

Mrp