Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Elan Plus 2 project

elan_fan

Lotus Elan plus 2s 

Car was stripped to repaint and I have struggled to find the time to put it back together.

Bodyshell inc doors bonnet and boot all restored and re painted proffesionally a number of years ago. Never been outside, paintwork is beautiful. Cost me £5000 at the time.

body on good lotus galvanised chassis, new spyder side sills fitted.

door window frames re chromed, new lock mechanisms, new hinges, new handles, new draught seals. 

new bonnet catches and springs, new cable mechanism and new bonnet stay.

new grille and letters and intake trim, new headlight vac pods, as good as new maserati horns of correct type.

new dash in walnut, new head lining (correct stitched type not a square of material that you need to make)

new wiring harness front centre and rear sections

new relays

girling servo inc rebuild kit

new radiator with brackets etc powder coated

new front suspension arms, new trunnions, new bearings, new TTR spring and dampers. Uprights and  hubs all refurbished.

refurbished front calipers, and new brake hoses and new discs.

rear supesion inc new spyder rear a frames 

refurbished rear calipers and handbrake mech and new hoses

new Susan Miller CV drive shafts 

refurbished correct dcoe webers and airbox inc loads of new genuine weber parts. new fuel hoses.

Twincam engine with a number of genuine spares inc spare weber cylinder head

correct gearbox and 3.77 diff

all glass comes with new seals filler strips and stainless trim parts

all parts genuine Lotus with the vast majority now being obsolete. Loads of hard to find parts like door switches etc all included.

down side is you will need to buy a carpet set and re trim the drivers seat. Then theres the small matter of gluing it together.

You will also need to strip the engine and check it although the are new parts such as oil pump, water pump, fuel pump, bearings etc.

I'm looking for a lot of money for it

there are complete cars on ebay etc for around £8500, these require a rebuild and as anyone knows the paint alone will cost several thousand if it's done properly and more important looks good after a couple of years without sinkage, mapping and osmosis. Then theres the small matter of buying all the parts to replace the rusty parts, most of which will be supplied as repro tat, not genuine. A rebuilt Plus 2 that stands up to scrutiny will fetch over £25000.

I built an Elan S4 so I know what is involved to make them perfect and I haven't got the time. I was keen until I bought the Seven and found it to be all that I had lusted after since I was 15 (now 45).