Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Let's do some alloy pulleys!!!

Julian Thompson

nnnnnnnnn blah nnnnnnnnnnddddddddd blah ddddddlksjdlskjdddddddddddd lskdjssssssssssssssssssssss dlkejlejd en blah dslkdjslkjdsjlskjdlskjdlskj blah dlskdslkkkkkkkkksssssssssssssssssssssss blah

blah

Well there we go. I understood as much about that lot as you will the above.

God I wished I listened at school.

Anyhow, does this mean I can have my alloy pulley now then?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope

That's only four orders. Your mission Jue, should you wish to accept it, is to convert another six people to the light side (Mission Impossible meets Star Wars!).

Gaffer tape is like the Force. It has a Dark Side and holds the Universe together 😬

AMMO

How big do you want them?

Seriously. I was thinking of reducing the diameter from 130 to 110 mm. Could be less. I will be guided by what the majority want. This has worked very well for me on the Zetec. I also looked very carefully at what the Yanks are selling. Checked the diameters and weights of Zetec pulleys for road cars. All seem to be running 110 / 112 mm diameter, 400 grm approx. The K-Series ones will be more than this as they have the extra 80 mm diameter pulley section to drive the dry sump. Maybe 500 grms. Not worth making two versions, with and without front section. As previously stated I want to keep some mass on the nose of the crank. Even running the alternator approx. 15% slower it will probably still be too fast. A bigger alternator pulley is probably still required.

AMMO

Take a look on www.eliseparts.com they have an alloy pulley for the K series for somewhere in the region of £68 plus the taxman. Whether the configuration is exactly the same as a Caterham set up I don't Know though.

Phil 😳

It was the minuscule QED item that I saw at the show, though AIUI you're correct about the eliseparts one not being anodised. Also (from their text) doesn't seem to change the alternator gearing.

I'm not going to use the dry sump drive on mine, but for the negligible extra weight I'd rather have a pulley with one.

I will contact the pulley manufacturers today to see if they will make 5 prototypes and at what cost.

The people on the list are: Julian, Luke, Ken, V7 SLR and Peter C.

Are we all agreed on 110 mm outside diameter?

AMMO

Ammo, I am definitely interested but it is cost dependent. I have overspent on this year's budget already and have only a bit of spare cash left. Thanks for the effort. I'm happy with your suggestion of 110mm for the alt drive.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

Ammo,

Let me know how much your enquiry comes up with - I may well be interested. I thought the Zetec one I saw looked the business.

I understand it is a "good thing" to uprate the oil pump rotor too - would hard anodised alu lend itself to this or would the steel QED item be better suited?

Cheers

Chris

ps. TIme for another curry soon?

Chris, Peter, V7 SLR, I'm hoping to do them for the £80.00 + delivery + VAT previously mentioned. A kind of a loss leader to get a few out and evaluated. At least the CNC program will be written if any are required for the future. If five are totally uneconomical I may have ten made and put some on the shelf.

I'll know what the situation is next week.

Regarding curry, I want to rolling road test / map the fuel injection around beginning of March. Maybe we should organize Dyno / Curry 3?

AMMO

How "hard" is it to change the oil pump gear?

If you can change the cam belt, it's only one spanner more *smile*

You'll need an oil pump gasket and perhaps the seal also.

If you change to the Pace dry sump then you can toss the oil pump rotor in the bin........

Lawrence